Simple W/W harness for AL 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may have to give the weights a go, may correct my trim with CCR and I only dove once in a wetsuit SM but I fear I will be feet heavy.
I had luck using tri-glides to secure the wing lower on my back with my rig in SM. I don't think you can do that with a nomad, but I haven't seen a nomad in a while up close.

Shoulder weights wet makes no sense to me...you're already over weighted with steel tanks, adding more weight seems to add to the danger in a wing failure.

I had luck using tri-glides to secure the wing lower on my back with my rig in SM. I don't think you can do that with a nomad, but I haven't seen a nomad in a while up close.

Shoulder weights wet makes no sense to me...you're already over weighted with steel tanks, adding more weight seems to add to the danger in a wing failure.

James,
If Im using lp85s and wetsuit it will be a mini of 5mm so Im not to negative, and the only reason I would be diving wet is because its tight and do not wanna tear up my drysuit. When I float my feet sink and I float verticle so when diving in a wetsuit my feet like to go down. The shoulder wieghts just act as a trim device, to put a lil more weight up front to balance my leg weight (this is just a guess will have to test) and allow even less gas in feet of the drysuit. Also when I scooter I need a ton of gas in my suit to keep my legs up. Wish I could attach the leash higher on my body.
Im going to have to go test it out.

Use lighter cylinders. I only dive wet with 95s or smaller and with 4lbs of trim and the cylinders, I'm not any more over weighted than when I dive 108s or 121s in a dry suit.

Rob how much do you put out front?
I have tried 2lb on each strap and it was ok.
I have not put any weight on the SS harness just because it was made for 80's.
The weight would help out on the tank or so I thought but that would be another
thing to try.

Good conversation on different ways to rig.
I have learned much by looking at other rigs and experimenting.
Thanks for the comments.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

2lbs each side.

Use lighter cylinders. I only dive wet with 95s or smaller and with 4lbs of trim and the cylinders, I'm not any more over weighted than when I dive 108s or 121s in a dry suit.
Well except with a drysuit and 108's, you'd be dangerously light if you ever had to get too far into your reserve gas, and with LP95's cave filled you'd be dangerously heavy during a wing failure with no redundant buoyancy.

I use LP85's diving wet in SM, and halcyon ditch-able weight pockets when diving large tanks dry.

question for anyone that is adding weights to trim out their SM harness.When putting weights on shoulder and back straps, are you threading the weights onto the strapping, or are you using things like trim weight pockets? I have seen others using the quick add pockets like XS scuba makes, but was curious what other people are doing.

Second question, while using the continuous bungee for the top of the tanks, once attached,
where do your tank valves sit? Right inside the armpit? slightly behind? Several inches behind?

-- nielsent

Well except with a drysuit and 108's, you'd be dangerously light if you ever had to get too far into your reserve gas, and with LP95's cave filled you'd be dangerously heavy during a wing failure with no redundant buoyancy.

I use LP85's diving wet in SM, and halcyon ditch-able weight pockets when diving large tanks dry.

Actually, I'm neutral in all configurations even tapping into reserve gas. I have discovered I can't use 95s for trimix dives, though! But with air, it's fine.

nielsent:
question for anyone that is adding weights to trim out their SM harness.When putting weights on shoulder and back straps, are you threading the weights onto the strapping, or are you using things like trim weight pockets? I have seen others using the quick add pockets like XS scuba makes, but was curious what other people are doing.

Threaded.

Second question, while using the continuous bungee for the top of the tanks, once attached,
where do your tank valves sit? Right inside the armpit? slightly behind? Several inches behind?

I have mine flipped so it's actually the 1st stages that are in my armpits. They are less durable than the valves.

Hello nielsent ditto on Rob's comments.
The one piece bungee has worked well thus far for the harness.
I run old version bungees on my Nomad, with snaps but not the new rig bungees.

I really like the way the tank valve knobs point our and the first stages tuck nice and snug into my arm pits.
Like Rob mentioned it makes great sense and I have found that even navigating smaller cave and some zig zag twists there is very little tank contact at all.
That is one reason that I have fallen hard for SM and really prefer to dive it even if the cave is very open.
I like to hear bells rig above the water not below!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

-- nielsent

Nielsent, you might note that people like Rob, who have their weights threaded, also tend to be local or drive to the cave locations.

If you are flying, you either mess with your straps to remove the weights before you go, and then mess with them again when you get somewhere, and remove them again . . . . .

Or, you put on the weight pouches as Rob suggested to me . . . It works great and I don't have to haul the weight around.

My newbie $.02 thoughts . . . :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom