single SPG or console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one console, but that is because I teach open water and I should be in the same configuration as my students which is also the only time I have a single tank on my back. Any other time, I'm in backmount or sidemount. I wouldn't suggest buying a console until/if you decide to become an instructor. Otherwise, SPG and wrist dive computer of your choice.

I have one console, but that is because I teach open water and I should be in the same configuration as my students which is also the only time I have a single tank on my back. Any other time, I'm in backmount or sidemount. I wouldn't suggest buying a console until/if you decide to become an instructor. Otherwise, SPG and wrist dive computer of your choice.
Cool!

thank you guys for the input. I'm gonna try the single SPG setup. should i buy a boot for the SPG or is that just a gimmick/not necessary?

Cave divers don't use the boot because it is believed that it can contribute to a ratcheting effect that can cause a diver trying to transit a restriction to become stuck. Subsequent use of "unbooted" SPGs in the demanding environment of caving has led to questions on whether the boot is helpful.

I don't dive caves. I don't use a boot on my SPG. You'll have to decide for yourself.

Another question with no definite answer!!! You have to decide it yourself.
I hope your next question is not jacket bc or BP/W!!!:)

As for me, I started with console(spg + depth gauge + compass) and jacket bc in the beginning.
Nowadays I use plain spg, separated wrist mounted computer, compass and BP/W.

Another question with no definite answer!!! You have to decide it yourself.
I hope your next question is not jacket bc or BP/W!!!:)

As for me, I started with console(spg + depth gauge + compass) and jacket bc in the beginning.
Nowadays I use plain spg, separated wrist mounted computer, compass and BP/W.
Haha no got all that figured out for now. But what if I do have those questions...

I'm just getting into diving so I have a lot of questions that may come off as silly to the more seasoned guys but we were all there at some point. It's why I joined the group, to Learn and ask dumb questions.

As for this question I really just wanted to hear what others are using and why so I can make an educated decision. I'm buying gear for the first time...

I started with a console: bottom timer, mechanical pressure gauge and mechanical depth gauge. Several years later I made it heavier by adding a mechanical compass.

A few years ago I gave my head a shake and dumped most of it. I had not looked at the depth gauge in a decade (dive computer has depth), rarely ever looked at my compass, and I used my computer instead of the bottom timer. I only used the compass just before splashing on LOB night dives to figure out which direction the boat was pointing (and hence which area of the dive site it was currently swinging over). Solved that problem by asking the crew...

I now simply use the plastic SPG on its hose clipped off to my BCD. No boot or protection of any kind. When it dies I may just buy a brass & glass SPG. Or maybe not?

A console is too heavy and bulky. Main computer is on my wrist. Backup computers are in my BCD pocket.

P.S. I have a handful of early pressure activated Sherwood bottom timers in a cupboard somewhere. Neat devices. A simple pressure switch activates them and they record the dive number and the elapsed time of the current dive. I am happy to give some a new home for the cost of shipping...

Whatever you choose, I would suggest securing it isn't hanging away from you. I can't even count the number of times I've seen divers swim along, get their hanging console stuck in a coral crevice or something, and have the momentum swing them into the coral or bottom. Uncomfortable for the diver; not great for the gear; awful for the coral. I tie a bolt snap on and clip it to a D-ring on my BC, but there are various other attachments that are reasonable for recreational diving.

For what it's worth, I started with a huge tri-console and eventually replaced it with a small brass and glass spg, moving the rest of the instruments to my wrist. If you dive a lot, you'll eventually get a very good sense of your air consumption rate and be able to estimate your remaining pressure pretty accurately, so will have little need to constantly check your SPG. Depth, compass heading, remaining no-decompression time, etc, are generally more difficult to keep track of in your head and I've found those are worth migrating to my wrist for easy reference.

$86 for a Medium (so brass and glass versus brass and polycarbonate), with a black face and glow-in-the-dark numbers), with spool and hose, all assembled and ready to go.

DGX Custom - SPG and Flex Hose Assembly in PSI | Dive Gear Express®

Thanks for this! This is exactly what I was looking for and at the right price! I went with the Large White face with 30" hose. For some reason, finding the exact SPG setup I wanted was harder than I expected it to be!

My dive team started out with a single SPG and wrist computer. I immediately wanted an analog depth gauge so that I could continue an operation if there was a problem with the computer. We were able to purchase the double gauge consoles this year. While the double gauge console is slightly longer, I don't see its size as a hindrance, especially since I tuck it under a strap to keep it from hanging on stuff. That seems to work better than hooking it to a d-ring, as we have to call out our PSI to the surface every 5 minutes. It's quicker to tuck it in than to operate a bolt snap or other hardware with heavy gloves. The original SPG is now stored for backup with other save-a-dive type items.

My dive team started out with a single SPG and wrist computer. I immediately wanted an analog depth gauge so that I could continue an operation if there was a problem with the computer. We were able to purchase the double gauge consoles this year. While the double gauge console is slightly longer, I don't see its size as a hindrance, especially since I tuck it under a strap to keep it from hanging on stuff. That seems to work better than hooking it to a d-ring, as we have to call out our PSI to the surface every 5 minutes. It's quicker to tuck it in than to operate a bolt snap or other hardware with heavy gloves. The original SPG is now stored for backup with other save-a-dive type items.
Did you consider a second computer instead of a second depth gauge?

I started with a full console. Later added a dive computer. Then bought another dive computer as a backup for my primary computer. No need for the mechanical depth gauge anymore...

Then I bought a few more computers...

I have some fully functional mechanical depth gauges looking for a home...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom