single SPG or console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you consider a second computer instead of a second depth gauge?

I started with a full console. Later added a dive computer. Then bought another dive computer as a backup for my primary computer. No need for the mechanical depth gauge anymore...

Then I bought a few more computers...

I have some fully functional mechanical depth gauges looking for a home...
I wanted simple redundancy that isn't tied to electronics technology/batteries. Also, a second computer means one more thing to have to strap on.

I wanted simple redundancy that isn't tied to electronics technology/batteries. Also, a second computer means one more thing to have to strap on.
Strap on? Nope. We are not talking BFK's here.

The extras get stuffed into a BCD pocket or latched onto a dring at the start of each dive trip. And then mostly ignored. I check all backups at the start of every dive. If they provide the same dive plan as my main, I claim them to be good to go.

We watch and download our main wrist mounted dive computers on a daily basis. The multiple spares live on our gear the whole dive trip. We generally ignore them...We both carry 2 (or more) spare computers...

Not much larger than a single standard spg are the mini-gauges a couple mfr's still sell. The two gauges themselves are slightly smaller than standard so it takes up very little room more than a single spg. And you get the redundancy of a separate depth gauge - if your computer fails mid-dive at least you know where you are in the water column. I have a set and a wrist computer. I learned to dive pre-computers so could actually execute a dive w/o mine if it failed, I use the computer mostly to maximize bottom time and for time/depth during a safety stop.

They're "mini" not consoles listed as "compact" since compact refers to standard size 3" gauges in a streamlined console. Mine are actually 1/2" smaller in diameter. Cressi makes a set. http://www.leisurepro.com/p-csb2gc/cressi-mini-2-gauge-console-imperial I believe Subgear may also - mine are Scubapro(discontinued) but I saw what looked like the identical set in the Subgear line (also owned by Scubapro's parent - Johnson Outdoors)

I'd personally want a booted spg. Saves the gauge face from getting as scratched plus I use a locking retractor and the clip works nicely with the eyelet molded into my gauge boot. If there's a leak in the spg, the boot doesn't prevent that from being noticed, gauges are pressed into the boot, not glued in. Some even have a small vent hole in the back - I believe to improve the accuracy of the depth gauge but IDK for certain. Or for drainage...

Ordered a brass & glass spg and hose from DRIS to keep things simple. Next is a recreational computer, maybe a puck pro.

Anyone using the mares pick pro?
pros/cons?

Ordered a brass & glass spg and hose from DRIS to keep things simple. Next is a recreational computer, maybe a puck pro.

Anyone using the mares pick pro?
pros/cons?

Good choice on the basic SPG.

There are many good options for your first computer. I have not used the Mares, but here are the things I would require..
-Nitrox compatible.
-user replacable battery
-Does not 'Lock out' if you go into deco mode, or miss a deco stop
-can be set to gauge, or bottom timer mode (that way it will still be usefull if you upgrade to a better computer at some point)
Nice, but not required:
*multi-gas and o2 up to 100% (if you ever decide to take more advanced training like adv nitrox / deco)
*turn off audible alerts (much nicer for a back-up)
*bungee mount (vs strap)
*simple un-cluttered display thats not confusing
*I don't like air integration.. but some do.

It's funny we say it, and perhaps is a throw-back from us old farts, but is there actually a modern PDC made that isn't Nitrox capable?

There are many good options for your first computer. I have not used the Mares, but here are the things I would require..
-Nitrox compatible.
-user replacable battery
-Does not 'Lock out' if you go into deco mode, or miss a deco stop
-can be set to gauge, or bottom timer mode (that way it will still be usefull if you upgrade to a better computer at some point)
Nice, but not required:
*multi-gas and o2 up to 100% (if you ever decide to take more advanced training like adv nitrox / deco)
*bungee mount (vs strap)
*I don't like air integration.. but some do.
Thanks for tips! I'll do some research.

It's funny we say it, and perhaps is a throw-back from us old farts, but is there actually a modern PDC made that isn't Nitrox capable?

Not that I know of. But, it's a relevant point if you are considering buying a used computer. I have seen plenty of OLD computers for sale on CL and even in the Classifieds here.

-Nitrox compatible. As noted, all new ones are. But, watch out if you are buying used.
-user replacable battery Definitely agree.
-Does not 'Lock out' if you go into deco mode, or miss a deco stop I don't think this matters at all on a recreational computer. If a recreational diver skips a deco stop, it is probably in their best interest to stay out of the water for 24 hours. As far as locking out for going into deco, I don't know of any that do that. They just lock out if you go into deco and then skip a mandatory stop - which, as I said, I think is fine.
-can be set to gauge, or bottom timer mode (that way it will still be usefull if you upgrade to a better computer at some point) Kind of nice to have, but not as big a deal as many seem to make it. It's only useful at all if you go into tech diving. Getting a better recreational computer means you can still use your original computer in "computer" mode, not needing gauge mode.
Nice, but not required:
*multi-gas and o2 up to 100% (if you ever decide to take more advanced training like adv nitrox / deco) I think this is pure marketing fluff. Useless for recreational diving, since you never do gas switches or use O2 higher than 40% in recreational diving anyway. And if you go into tech, you're not going to be doing gas switches on a recreational computer anyway. Some people say it's good for pre-programming a few different gases and then quickly switching to the one you're using. But, my rec computer has this feature and I have never used it. It's just as easy to simply change the FO2 on Gas 1 each time I use a different gas. You HAVE to learn how to change the FO2 on your computer if you dive Nitrox. You never HAVE to learn how to do a gas switch on your computer. So, using the multi-gas thing just means learning one extra thing on your computer, that you don't even need. It MIGHT save you 5 seconds versus just changing the FO2.
*bungee mount (vs strap)
*I don't like air integration.. but some do. I definitely do. :) Really experienced divers may have no use for it, since they know their SAC so well. But, that doesn't reduce the value of it to newer dives who can learn a lot about their SAC by reviewing air consumption data after a dive. Experienced divers might have no need for a buddy, either. Does that mean a new diver has no need for a buddy?

Strap on? Nope. We are not talking BFK's here.

The extras get stuffed into a BCD pocket or latched onto a dring at the start of each dive trip. And then mostly ignored. I check all backups at the start of every dive. If they provide the same dive plan as my main, I claim them to be good to go.

We watch and download our main wrist mounted dive computers on a daily basis. The multiple spares live on our gear the whole dive trip. We generally ignore them...We both carry 2 (or more) spare computers...
We already have enough stuff in our pockets. I wanted a simple, never needs batteries, foolproof depth gauge. The wrist computer and compact console with analog gauge suit us well.

I have one console, but that is because I teach open water and I should be in the same configuration as my students which is also the only time I have a single tank on my back. Any other time, I'm in backmount or sidemount. I wouldn't suggest buying a console until/if you decide to become an instructor. Otherwise, SPG and wrist dive computer of your choice.
See, this is the part I don't understand. Why do instructors and or shops put students in gear that is not optimal. You said 'to just get a simple SPG until you become an instuctor because consoles will be what students will be using'. Why not just start students out with the right gear from the start? This is where the industry is flawed to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom