single tank wings for least $$ ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well,
for the moment I'm back. Been out diving while away.

Leisure Pro. Their unbungeed wings are less than $200.

Also , try Northeaster Scuba Supply in PA. John had killer deals on OMS wings as well.

www.leisurepro.com

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Well,
for the moment I'm back. Been out diving while away.

Leisure Pro. Their unbungeed wings are less than $200.

Also , try Northeaster Scuba Supply in PA. John had killer deals on OMS wings as well.

www.leisurepro.com

Which of their wings do you recommend for a single tank?

Well,
There are several schools of thought on this one.

I'd go with their 35 or 45# wing. I like a single tank wing to be about 45#, but thats my opinion. Most guys that go with Halcyon's pick like a 27 or 36# wing. I like a bit more. Thats JUST IMO, thats not gospel nor fact.

45# is plenty even if you were to be carrying an AL40 around or a big PONY bottle, reels, perhaps camera's, maybe a scooter, etc.

I have the 100# bungee wing but only because I eventually want to go to twins. The bungee keeps the wing from 'flapping' around when used on a single tank, otherwise you'd get a 'taco affect' of the wing wrapping around your tank. That would be a lot of drag.

If your going into the DIR direction, you won't want a bungee wing. Thats a whole 'nother can of worms I won't open, but again, there are two schools of thought on that one. Choose your weapon accordingly.

If you have plenty of funds, go a wing for singles and one for twins later. OMS, Dive Rite, Halcyon and now Oxy Cheq all have good wings. I'd say the Halcyon and Oxy's are build a bit better (at least the bladder) than the OMS. I have no experience with Dive Rite's. Oxy Cheq's look like they will be good.

I'd probably look at the 35# for traveling or warm water diving and 45# for cold water diving with heavy gear.

OMS's 35 or 45's can be had for less than $200, I believe. The 100# is more.

Good luck.

So, IOW, the only thing to consider when choosing a wing is its lift capacity? Even the 35 lb wing on the LP site looks pretty unsuited to singles.

Well,
There are several schools of thought on this one.

I'd go with their 35 or 45# wing. I like a single tank wing to be about 45#, but thats my opinion. Most guys that go with Halcyon's pick like a 27 or 36# wing. I like a bit more. Thats JUST IMO, thats not gospel nor fact.

45# is plenty even if you were to be carrying an AL40 around or a big PONY bottle, reels, perhaps camera's, maybe a scooter, etc.

I have the 100# bungee wing but only because I eventually want to go to twins. The bungee keeps the wing from 'flapping' around when used on a single tank, otherwise you'd get a 'taco affect' of the wing wrapping around your tank. That would be a lot of drag.

If your going into the DIR direction, you won't want a bungee wing. Thats a whole 'nother can of worms I won't open, but again, there are two schools of thought on that one. Choose your weapon accordingly.

If you have plenty of funds, go a wing for singles and one for twins later. OMS, Dive Rite, Halcyon and now Oxy Cheq all have good wings. I'd say the Halcyon and Oxy's are build a bit better (at least the bladder) than the OMS. I have no experience with Dive Rite's. Oxy Cheq's look like they will be good.

I'd probably look at the 35# for traveling or warm water diving and 45# for cold water diving with heavy gear.

OMS's 35 or 45's can be had for less than $200, I believe. The 100# is more.

Good luck.

I used to live near you - in Schenectady.

Why? Because its 35#?

They offer a 35, 45, 60 and 100# models.
No, because it looks very wide. As in, it will wrap up around the tank.

I used to live near you - in Schenectady.

Wow, that's really too bad that you don't anymore.

Thanks,
I go back to Sch'dy about 1x per month. Are you a student of RPI or HVCC?

Have yet to dive Lake George though...

Well, thats one of the reasons I chose the bungee wing so I didn't have to deal with the 'taco effect.' However, I don't think the 35 or 45# should be THAT wide uninflated. I thought I'd have about 6 inches on either side of my AL80 on my 100# wing and I don't.

How about a Halcyon Pioneer or an Oxy Cheq single wing then?

Thanks,
I go back to Sch'dy about 1x per month. Are you a student of RPI or HVCC?

Have yet to dive Lake George though...

Well, thats one of the reasons I chose the bungee wing so I didn't have to deal with the 'taco effect.' However, I don't think the 35 or 45# should be THAT wide uninflated. I thought I'd have about 6 inches on either side of my AL80 on my 100# wing and I don't.

How about a Halcyon Pioneer or an Oxy Cheq single wing then?

I've got a Pioneer, and I'm intrigued by the Oxycheq wing. I was just giving you a hard time because I don't think OMS makes a suitable single tank wing, especially when the Travel Wing is so cheap :wink:

You Troll!

Thats why I went the bungee wing, as I didn't feel that I wanted to buy a single then a double wing later on.

I haven't had any problems with my OMS, but think the Halcyon and Oxy Cheq's have better bladders internally.

I was 'intrigued' by the bungee design and wanted to see for myself what all the 'fuss' was over them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom