skewed numbers on BP, what about deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David P

Reaction score
Ok I think its obvious that the population here on ScubaBoard does not mirror that of reality when it comes to percentage of divers using backplates. (I am seeing more on the boats though!) That got me to thinking... Most everyone says they use VPlanner for planning deco dives, I wonder if that is the most popular method out in the real world. I started advanced nitrox/deco but the class was canceled about half way through, and I don't really know any divers to do this kind of diving... any thoughts?

The most popular method of deco diving in the real world is buying a computer that will let you tell it when you switch gas, and riding your computer out.

I think I'll stick to planning my dives.

David P:
Ok I think its obvious that the population here on ScubaBoard does not mirror that of reality when it comes to percentage of divers using backplates. (I am seeing more on the boats though!) That got me to thinking... Most everyone says they use VPlanner for planning deco dives, I wonder if that is the most popular method out in the real world. I started advanced nitrox/deco but the class was canceled about half way through, and I don't really know any divers to do this kind of diving... any thoughts?

In the real world of deco, you will find that most everyone uses some type of computer program (i.e. - V-Planner) to plan their dives. Everyone I dive with uses V-Planner to cut tables prior to a dive. Even people I dive with that use complex Trimix computers (VR3, etc.) will still cut tables on a computer to have as a backup.

Personally, all I ever use for my deco dives are V-Planner, two bottom timers, and two identical sets of tables stowed in two separate areas on my person...

I use a gas switchable computer,but I carry tables too. Sometimes I will compare the two to make sure that something doesn't look significantly wrong during the dive.

Also,I never trust one decompression software!!! I have seen software bugs that have generated some unusual tables. So I always generate tables,but use a different brand of software to generate the same profile for a rough comparison.

During my Deco training, I used Z-Planner but have moved up to V-Planner and am very happy with it. I also dive with 2 gas switchable computers (Nitek HE)- however the computers are there only as a backup to my tables.

I cut 3 dive plans, the one I intend to dive and then +/- 5 minutes on the bottom time. All three of those go on my slate.

I do not surface until I have cleared the tables AND the wrist computers.

Cheers

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom