Skills Clinic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... A local instructor recently offered to swap Rebreather training for some equipment I was able to obtain for him. After considering this, I told him that first, I would rather be a better diver, and would he help me with that instead. He seemed surprised, but agreed to this. So last weeken we went to a dive site with a big shallow area (15-25') in a cove. First we checked my weighting and trim - that was actually good :D . Then we just hovered a few inches off the bottom - which I've been practicing anyway, but I got feedback. Then we hovered and swam slowly in various attitudes (i.e. L side, R side, face up. Then hovering at 20' without reference (That was a toughie!). He also evaluated my finning (I use Bio Fins), but since I'm not silting up the bottom - he called my kick a "modified flutter"- he didn't have any suggestions there.
After that we practiced basic skills while hovering off the bottom. After 45 minutes, the instructor says I don't need training in this area, I just need to keep doing what I've been doing and practice this stuff each time I dive :D All in all - I found the session very helpful and definitely agree that this sort of class or clinic would be worth doing!

I'm wondering if Scot and Brandon (scubaguys.com) would be interested in hosting such a session at Gilboa?? They are both PADI instructors and at least one is a DIRF instructor. Both have excellent video skills and know what to look for and how to discuss improvements during post-dive assessments of videos.

Bob (CWB) or Jack (DD) - either of you interested in this cause? Either of you willing to ask SW or BS?

I would venture to guess that I might be able to convince Dan G. to help shoot video if someone has a camera. He's very concerned about everything happening in the industry, and specifically what's happened at Gilboa recently.

Not a DIR demo, but just a generic opportunity to help fellow divers improve their competence, confidence and comfort. By giving them the chance to see themselves on video goes a LONG LONG way in comprehending their skills.

Biscuit7 - we are in Indy and dive frequently at Blue Springs just off I-74 about an hour west from Cinci. Maybe we can set something up there in a few weeks?

(DG: yep - I'm off and running full throttle again - you know how much I love getting things going :)

O-ring once bubbled...

If you see anyone wearing a rec.scuba shirt and possessing an IQ that is less than the number of guns they own, you might want to move your campsite elsewhere.

You need to meet some good ol boys...some of them have like 150 guns.....

Either way your point would be valid...someone with a very low IQ and A gun....or someone with lots of guns.....I think I would want the guy with lots of guns to be my friend....but ammunition cost would make for an expensive weekend (you should see me on the 4th of July)

Anyway..."don't take your guns to town...son leave your guns at home"

You all can camp if you want but I will be at a local hotel....if I can make it. :D

Chad

CWB and Dcostansa live at Gilboa they'll likely be there even if we don't tell them about it. LOL

Big-t-2538, yes...beer good (afterward of course).

ckharlan66 once bubbled...
You all can camp if you want but I will be at a local hotel....if I can make it. :D

Monica can stay with us :wink:

O-ring once bubbled...

If you see anyone wearing a rec.scuba shirt and possessing an IQ that is less than the number of guns they own, you might want to move your campsite elsewhere.

What are you trying to say? Don't beat around the bush just say it. HAHAHA

When I got my AOW certification, I went with a bunch of local fire fighters. It was a little strange me, the only female, and a bunch of loud rowdy fire fighters. Anyway. On the deep water cert. dive, the FFs took a boat and we met them at the Betsy Ross. They were drinking and belching when we got there. I made sure that I stayed separate from their group. Don't you think that FFs would know better than to act like that when diving? The instructor was a fire fighter and said he expected that behavior. These are the same guys that took the Rescue Diving course with me. I opted not to do the water portion with them. Besides it was winter and way too cold at the time. Apparently some people think that the rowdier and the more dangerous you are the more macho you look. Wrong.

O-ring, you comment made me think of these guys. One in particular. R

Now I am tempted to go with all the response so far. Gilboa is a real haul from DC, but if all the cool people go I may have to make the trip.

What weekend are you thinking?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
CWB and Dcostansa live at Gilboa they'll likely be there even if we don't tell them about it. LOL

Big-t-2538, yes...beer good (afterward of course).

So I've noticed....them and the scubaguys.....they have this addiction to diving like I have to beer....at least once a day...two on the weekends...more is better of course....the end is nowhere in sight.

That might actually be a good option for this kind of thing. It's not a terribly interesting dive site, but the vis was more than decent off the training platforms last time I was there and the water is warming up quite nicely.

Even if the clinic was elsewhere, Blue Springs is an easy site for me to get to, ask me anytime and I'll dive!

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom