Skills Clinic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...

If you see anyone wearing a rec.scuba shirt and possessing an IQ that is less than the number of guns they own, you might want to move your campsite elsewhere.

No worries. I think we should invite them in the interest of being good nieghbors.

O-ring once bubbled...
Now I am tempted to go with all the response so far. Gilboa is a real haul from DC, but if all the cool people go I may have to make the trip.

What weekend are you thinking?

leave your guns at home

PM's me their e-mail addy and we can see what we can put together....

R

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

leave your guns at home
Oh, silly me, you mean firearms! I thought you were talking about the 43" pythons...

O-ring once bubbled...

Oh, silly me, you mean firearms! I thought you were talking about the 43" pythons...

I don't want to know what you do with 43 inch snakes....what you do in your own time is none of my business...but you and chad can share a room...you're both not right.

I think a semi-formal evaluation/skills refresher class is a GREAT idea. I've already done one session with Mike F. last year and am planning on a second next weekend.

As I stated in the state of instruction thread, awareness of your true skill level and what is possible is something that we should promote. If it is done well and in positive manner I can see it growing into a regular clinic and attracting more divers.

Postive word of mouth from participants is the best way for this to grow. Who knows, after a while it might make a difference in the vis at Gilboa.

If the economics of the business side of the industry doesn't support true diver education, then it falls to the concerned folks to generate grass roots support for improved skills. For education purposes I could see a small brochure describing what real bouyancy an trim is like, what procedures you should be able to perform, etc., then inviting the reader to evaluate themselves and think about further training. If it makes the point that you don't get it all in BOW, "A good diver is always learning", and the more sure you are of your skills the more fun you have, we might have an impact.

At the very least this lets the good instructors know there is a demand for their services.

David

O-ring once bubbled...
Now I am tempted to go with all the response so far. Gilboa is a real haul from DC, but if all the cool people go I may have to make the trip.

What weekend are you thinking?

You mean the ones with the rec.scuba t-shirts?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

You mean the ones with the rec.scuba t-shirts?
Who knows, maybe we can co-exist with them at the quarry? I guess we will find out..

How does the weekend of August 30-31 strike everyone?

R

Back
Top Bottom