Small Hope Bay resort -- a diver's review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC:
Ok....so how does one get there from say Atlanta or Raleigh NC???
See the SHBL website:
http://www.smallhope.com/GetToAndros.html

From Atlanta or Raleigh there are many different ways:

(a) Fly to Nassua, Bahamas, and then onto Andros by Bahamas Fast Ferries or Western Air airline flight

(b) Fly/drive to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and then take Continental Airlines or a charter flight directly to Andros

I have always traveled from Fort Lauderdale. I have tried both the charter and Continental Airlines.

The charter flights are usually about $200-$400 round-trip/pp in little four-seat twin props. Pretty cool flying in small planes. Only disadvantage is luggage. Your luggage must be soft-sided and in small bags. Your luggage gets stuffed into cowling compartments and small hatches. The charter flights can be arranged to meet your schedule.

The Continental flights cost about the same as charter. The planes are larger (10-15 passengers) and you can carry larger bags. Continental flies only on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

It's pretty cool having Continental flying into Andros now. This is a recent development. If we can support the flights (by using them), maybe they'll keep flying into Andros!

Lyse:
Her name's Claudia :)
Ah, yep it sure is. i knew that...

Hey, Lyse, your Location says you split time between NY and the Bahamas. Where do you go in the bahamas?

MarkUK:
Dick Birch did indeed hold the world record for air diving to depth, but Mark Andrews is the current holder, albeit his dive to over 500 feet was more of a deep rescue than a deep dive!!!

If this was Mark's July 1999 dive to 156.4m, he unfortunately failed to consider the deep air dives of Dr. Dan Manion from five years earlier.

Say what you want about who's supposed to be the "official record keeper" for such things, but the mark set (and not exceeded by Andrews) by Dr. Dan Manion was an air dive to 525' done in Nassau, Bahamas, in March 1994.

Manion didn't require any assitance or rescue on this dive, but he did pretzel himself fairly shortly thereafter; lucky to be alive. He reportedly attributed his hit to doing deep bounce dives on both air and mix within a relatively short time period.

-hh

teknitroxdiver:
Ah, yep it sure is. i knew that...

Hey, Lyse, your Location says you split time between NY and the Bahamas. Where do you go in the bahamas?

My parents have been living on Andros since the late 70s. Dads a marine biologist and mom was the manager of Androsia for quite a while. I am full on Small Hope Family, grew up practically living at the lodge with all the various kids and staff, and have worked as dive staff there each summer for four years. booya. Miss it though.

Actually, to Doc Harry, you look amazingly familiar and if you come as often as you say I've definately seen you about. When was the last visit?

Thanks for that info, HH.

I'd not heard of Dan Manion, but will have a scquiz around the web now to read up on him. Whatever you think of these loony dives, at least he made the surface on his own...

I know what you mean about 'official' records – it's like freediving. You have one depth record that is a good 30m shy of the other organisation's top spot! Bizarre...

Mark

Lyse:
Actually, to Doc Harry, you look amazingly familiar and if you come as often as you say I've definately seen you about. When was the last visit?

Jackey and I were at SHBL in late April or early May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom