smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also used to smoke a lot, but gave up about a year and a half ago. As many have said I used to make sure I was downwind of anyone not also smoking. Given the breeze on a moving boat it's impossible for the smoke to bother anyone if you're in the right place. One needs to be more careful at anchor though, although on the kind of boats that I have much experience with, i.e. reasonable sized live-aboards, there's always been somewhere to go to get away from everyone else - quite often the roof or completely forward.

What does bug me though is smokers who flick their butts over the side. That's completely out of order IMO.

We need for many more young people to take up smoking cigarrettes/cigars/pipes/pot/meth/crack/heroin/cocain etc. It shortens their life span so it helps takes the pressure off of Medicare. These youngsters probably have medical care provided by their employer or a self-purchased plan which would take care of their terminal expenses. The sooner that they die the less taxpayer money will be spent on them since the majority of Medicare money is spent while us old folks are at the end of our lives, dieing a natural death. Those of us who are on Medicare at this time and in the future would benefit greatly from this.

We need for many more young people to take up smoking cigarrettes/cigars/pipes/pot/meth/crack/heroin/cocain etc. It shortens their life span so it helps takes the pressure off of Medicare. These youngsters probably have medical care provided by their employer or a self-purchased plan which would take care of their terminal expenses. The sooner that they die the less taxpayer money will be spent on them since the majority of Medicare money is spent while us old folks are at the end of our lives, dieing a natural death. Those of us who are on Medicare at this time and in the future would benefit greatly from this.

It would be those in-between years that would be bothersome. Imagine all of those purse-string lipped smokers balancing O2 tanks on their skateboards.

It's not pretty.

I agree with Geoff. I don't think that smoking in confined spaces (such as buildings or on dive boats) is fair to non-smokers.

I'd agree --- I seem to be sensitive to cigarette smoke too (starts the nose running and itching). One of my big pet peeves is when somebody lights up right beside me without asking first. I generally don't say anything but just move further away.

I used to smoke over a pack a day but quit soon after I discovered diving. Quitting had been an elusive goal but my love of diving gave me the extra motivation I needed to beat my drug addiction.

I considered myself a fairly considerate smoker and tried to be considerate of nonsmokers. Standing at the back of a moving boat was normal as was not smoking while stopped. However, smokers are drug addicts and consideration often goes out the window when a fix is needed. Now a nonsmoker for almost two years I see how bad secondhand smoke can be. Smoke can really ruin one's enjoyment of a nice meal. Diesel fumes on the boats are bad but if you add cigarette or cigar smoke to that it can be the thing that pushes someone else over the edge and make them sick. The cigars are especially noxious and should only be smoked well away from all nonsmokers.

We nonsmokers need to remember that smokers are drug addicts and pity them while showing some understanding. Their lives are run by their addictions and most are good people who are normally kind and considerate. Yes, smokers should be able to feed their drug addiction but not when they affect those nonsmokers around them.

I think it's unreasonable for smokers to pollute our air anywhere, and a diveboat is no exception.

I agree. Breathing a smoker's bad habit into my lungs is like being peed upon by that smoker IMHO and if someone pees on me at least the urine doesn't go inside my body.:wink:

One thing smokers don't seem to understand is that smoke is a gas and many times wind direction doesn't help. A non-smoker can smell smoke from a mile away.

My friend's baby smells like a stinky ash tray all the time and he claims he never smokes around his baby. His baby would call his father out if it could speak for itself.:(

How would a smoker feel if If carried a can of fart spray around and just sprayed it whenever I wanted...down wind...and btw fart spray doesn't cause cancer...I'm guessing the smoker would be upset...pretty natural to feel upset about breathing in another's waste.:11doh:

I think smokers should be considerate of non-smokers. If you really need to smoke just do it during the dive. I don't think anyone will mind then. :rofl3:

I think smokers should be considerate of non-smokers. If you really need to smoke just do it during the dive. I don't think anyone will mind then. :rofl3:

what aboot the fishies???? :wink:

While i am in traffic sitting next to a smoker i have been know to ask them to roll up their windows and just kill themselves... it usually doesn't work.

even more annoying then a smoker is they normally (not always!) toss their butts overboard, then there is public healthcare... I could go on and on!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom