Snap Similans Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amy WJ:
Returned recently from a Similans/Surin Island liveaboard trip. It was our first trip to Thailand so there's no basis for comparison in terms of marine life pre- and post- tsunami. While we absolutely loved it, we did hear dynamite exploding while we were under water diving in the Similans. It occurred on one trip and we heard two separate explosions. Our divemaster who also heard the explosions estimated the distance to be around 6 miles away and likely due to fishing boats (this was during the day).

Amy, Please can you send me some more details which I can pass on to the relevant people... Either post it here or email me at jamie@dive-the-world.com

Date and time of day you heard the dynamite - must be in your log book, right?

Dive site you were at when you heard dynamite.

Name of the boat you were on.

Anything else you can think of.

Thanks

I have NEVER heard dynamite while diving in the Similan Islands, but I have heard it when at Richelieu Rock a couple of times, which was coming from over the border in Burma.

Back
Top Bottom