Snorkeling Philippines in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superguro

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope you can help me:)
I am going to the Philippines in March to snorkel for three weeks, and am wondering where to go. Where is the best places to snorkel from shore and from a boat? Where has the best conditions for snorkeling (the best visibility, the calmest waters), and where has the most interesting marine life and corals, seen from a snorkelers perspective? And where should I avoid? I appreciate all pointers!

I am starting my trip in Coron/Busuanga, but have an open intinerary after that.

I have previously snorkeled in Egypt (wonderful: Ras Mohammed and Ras Umm Sid in 2003), Thailand (Not more than OK: Koh Tao in February 2004, various sites), Tobago (Arnos Vale in 2008, not more than OK, but saw turtles, which was great!) and Honduras in February 2009 (wonderful, particularly Cayos Cochinos was incredible: great marine life and healthy coral, although not as great visibility as normal due to heavy rainfall on the mainland.)

good question, I am going there in a couple days and my research has shown Anilao to have great potential. I am sure there are tons of other places, anilao might be a little boring though for extended stays.

In Busuanga you can snorkel at least one shallow wreck which is very interesting..
Alona, Siquijor, Moalboal, APO Island, Romblon Romblon and Davao are all places that I consider to have interesting reefs for snorkeling.

I have never snorkeled in PG, but I have snorkeled Verde Island and I believe that due to the Aquarium Fish Business that is located there, there is a noticable a lack of interesting reef fishes.

Cheers,
Roger

Thanks for good advice everyone! I think I've made up a preliminary itinerary now:
Busuanga/Coron for a few days, then head to El Nido, then Apo Island and possibly Donsol or Malapascua or Cabilao Island.

Can anyone tell me what snorkeling is like in Malapascua or Cabilao?

And how is snorkeling in Donsol apart from whale shark-spotting? Presumably, a sighting is not guaranteed...

Also, how common is the box jellyfish in these areas? Is it something to be worried about when snorkeling here?

There have been incidences of box jelly fish "invasions" but these are few and far between, I would recommend wearing something called a "skin" which is thin suit made of lycra or lycra/nylon like material. It provides great protection from not only Jelly Fish but many other little stingers that can be found all over the world as well as they provide protection from minor scrapes and the unavoidable scrapes you get from accidently rubbing up against the reef.

The nice thing about these skins is that they are extremely light to travel with and relatively cheap.

So if you google box jelly fish philippines or cubo medusa philippines you will find a couple of incidences of people getting stung and one noteable incident where a bunch of Police got stung during a training exercise. But I have made many many dives and snorkels here in the Philippines and have never been stung by any thing serious.

You might also consider

Jellyfish Repellent Lotion - Safe Sea

Now I haven't tried this product but I know people who have and "SURPRISE" Neither of us have been stung :)

HTH
Cheers,
Roger

If you're in the Coron area go to Sangat Island Reserve. Perfect for diving and snorkelling. Check their website. It's a beautiful place...perfect for divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom