Snorkelling in the red sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Volans41

New
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm taking my grand daughter, 10 yrs old, live aboard diving in the red sea ( Hurghada) in October, I understand that a 5mm wetsuit is required (?) My wife will be snorkelling - not diving. Can someone recommend what wetsuit would be needed? At the moment she only has a 2mm shorty. Thanks.

5mm recommendation is correct. There are people diving with shorties in September or October but this is rather rare and especially in a livaboard diving several times a day, you do not want to be having insufficient exposure suit. For snorkeling full suit is always better, it will protect you from the sun and fire corals as well. An average person might get away with 3mm full suit but warmer is always better.

5mm for snorkling should be ok. Having said that.
A week on a boat is going to be super boring for a 10 years old though. Probably for the wife too. A liveaboard in the Red Sea isn't exactly the greatest for snorkeling.

Hi!

Your grand daughter is very, very lucky to get to dive with grandpa.

As for a good 5mm full suit, I strongly recommend Bare's Manta range for children. They have them with and without a hood and my two diving children were always super-comfortable in them diving the Red Sea in the winter months. You pay a bit of a premium with Bare wetsuits, but in my opinion they are worth it.

I hope you have a great trip.

Is the kid diving or snorkeling?
I'm not sure it's a good idea to take a kid that age to some place like the Brothers. Especially not when there are a bunch of oceanic whitetips around.
I'm surprised that they don't have a higher min age requirement.

Reactions: Dan
Snorkeling is forbidden in some places for a good reason.. strong currents and oceanic white tip sharks are not joke for swimmers, especially for a 10 year old.

Other than that: 5mm is good

Reactions: Dan
No need to be so negative, while I agree, the Brothers may not be the place for a 10 year old to snorkel, there are lots of places in the region that would be appropriate. Lucky kid! Water temperature will still be relatively high in October, so I think a full length 5mm would be ideal.

If people read the original post carefully, they'd realise that it's the OP's wife who'll be snorkelling. The young girl will be scuba diving. :wink:

Agree with the others - a north trip should be OK, heading south from Hurghada with snorkelers isn't such a good idea...

Agree with the others - a north trip should be OK, heading south from Hurghada with snorkelers isn't such a good idea...
What north tour goes to appropriate dive sites for a 10 year old to dive in?

The OP is probably a new diver too since he is asking what suit you need for what water temperature. He might not know that it's a bad idea. Diving in the Safaga bay is one thing. Going on a liveaboard to fairly advanced spots is another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom