So Annoyed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I kinda chuckled at the one night thing - but that's a normal thing for me (missing a night's sleep.....and the constant chuckling I suppose). I find my crash comes the second day. I take a tylenol pm EVERY night and it helps - some of the other stuff weirds me out.

If this is a rare thing, don't sweat it - I've dealt with this kinda stuff for years - at 55 hasn't killed me yet nor messed my day up so badly I can't still function. Thing is - the more you stress about not sleeping the worse it gets.

For some reason, and the first time in years I have not slept a wink all night. Was due at the Dive Centre at 8am and by 6am I had not been to sleep. I have lay tossing and turning since 11pm and I think I am going to go mad.

I'm constantly amazed at the lack of reading skills people have. The OP clearly says that for the first time in years he's been unable to sleep, yet several posters are talking about his insomnia and even anxiety.

A one-time event does not equal a chronic condition.

Anyway, funkcanna, go enjoy your diving next week!

one hell of a stiff drink

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies :)

It definately wasnt anxiety - I think I was just conscious of the fact I needed to be up and this kept me awake and the more I thought about it the worse it got! Glad to have received some tips on combatting it in the future, however most of the more favorable options would definately lead to me getting my hands cut off and / or worse over here :)

Cheers

Lee

First, don't go to bed until you're ready to sleep. That way, getting in bed will be a signal it's time to sleep.

You might try the ingredient in milk that helps you sleep - calcium. You need calcium anyway, take it at bed time.

Don't consume any caffeine -- ever. Caffeine is in coffee, tea, cola, Barq's root beer, Mountain Dew and chocolate.

When you go to bed, relax, take a few deep breaths, close your eyes and slowly count backward from 5. Say each number 3 times. As you say the number, picture the numeral in your mind. After you've reached 1, take a few more deep breaths. Think of the most relaxing location you can imagine, picture yourself there. This should help you get ready to sleep. Now it's time to put yourself out, this is the part I hate, but it's extremely effective.

With your eyes closed, elevate them 20° and visualize. Picture yourself standing beside a chalk board. Pick up the chalk and draw a large 99 on the board. Now, draw a circle around it. Put down the chalk and pick up the eraser. Erase the 99, being careful not to erase any part of the circle. Pick the chalk up and draw a 98 inside the circle. Continue this pattern until you fall asleep from boredom. If you, by some strange turn of events reach 0, start over. Most don't make it to the 80's.

Sleep well.

:bored2:
When you go to bed, relax, take a few deep breaths, close your eyes and slowly count backward from 5. Say each number 3 times. As you say the number, picture the numeral in your mind. After you've reached...

:bored2: :sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

Do not read that post while operating heavy machinery or while at work!:rofl3:

Hey, Lee
Glad that you found some possible solutions here on SB. Also happy to hear that the root cause of the situation wasn't anxiety and that the dilemma should be easily fixed (though be sure to keep your hands over there!). By the way, my suggestion that anxiety might have been a part of the problem was in no way meant to send up flags or offend. Perhaps that was my first thought because the only time I found it impossible to sleep before a dive was on a science cruise (a liveaboard) and it WAS due to a slight anxiety attack. Once I pinned down the cause and took steps to face it, the stress went away and things returned to normal (in time for the afternoon siesta, in fact). Sounds like your situation should be a whole lot simpler.
Have fun on your next dive, and be sure to let us know how it goes!

Any time I have a boat trip scheduled, an OTC seasickness tablet the night before helps me sleep and keeps me from getting seasick.

Of course, I get sick very easy.

Not sure what the problem is here. I've gone diving with no sleep the night before many times, and I know plenty of others who have as well. One night without sleep isn't a big deal, and after a day of diving, you can be darn sure there won't be a second sleepless night.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies :)

It definately wasnt anxiety - I think I was just conscious of the fact I needed to be up and this kept me awake and the more I thought about it the worse it got! Glad to have received some tips on combatting it in the future, however most of the more favorable options would definately lead to me getting my hands cut off and / or worse over here :)

Cheers

Lee

Please, keep your hands. They are quite useful, especially if you go on a night dive or want to take some u/w pictures... :wink:

I have to travel for at least 2 hours to get to the nearest dive spot and sometimes I can't go the night before, so I have to get up very early (sometimes at 4 AM), because all dives over here are boat dives and operations go on a tight schedule. So I have this same problem: I get so worried about not waking up at the right time I just can't sleep at all. But I always go anyway and, as said above:

a) when underwater, I'm OK... (and sometimes I even manage to take a nap during SI after the first dive...)

b) there is never a second night... I sleep like a baby after a good day of diving (and every diving day is, for sure, a good day!!!)...

So, don't worry too much and just go diving!!! I'm sure you'll still have lots of fun!!!

Take care!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom