So... finally got to try sidemount from a boat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IGetting the gear setup on the boat wasn't a problem like I thought it might be, but getting the tanks back in the tank holders was a PITA. Seems my tank cam bands where at the same height as the boat's tank holders, which made the tanks difficult to get snapped in.
FWIW, I've also had this exact same problem with a regular jacket (2-strap) BCD.

Funny (and informative) post. I haven't sidemounted off a boat yet and am dreading a bit the logistics of it. I'll be doing some boat charters on Lake Michigan and my working assumption is that the crew/DM will be an interested observer. Having them hand off my tanks while in water sounds nice, but they may drop it or slip my heavily clad gloved fingers which is not a good thing when the bottom is 90+ feet. Using a line will help but that requires the crew's active participation. And those jet fins are a PITA to don with rock boots, esp. in water.

What if you bring your own line that could attach to the boat, lower your tanks over the side and hook them up in the water.? Basically take care of it yourself. I would call ahead and discuss with the captain myself before doing that though.

What if you bring your own line that could attach to the boat, lower your tanks over the side and hook them up in the water.? Basically take care of it yourself. I would call ahead and discuss with the captain myself before doing that though.

If it were my boat, sure. On a charter, as you said, the captain better be on board with it. Maybe with the increased popularity of open water sidemount there's a protocol already in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom