So much for San Clemente

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on_two_wheels

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My first try ended abruptly. Military said no-go. Took a little over two hours to get there on very rough seas to be told no. Then over 2 hours back on rough seas to dive catalina. Gotta say, overall I was highly disappointed. Was told there would be a "night dive at Farnsworth" which translated into "night dive at little farnsworth." Big difference. Bright side is I saw several angel sharks and sea salp for the first time. Also got narcosis a bit but managed to talk myself through it. Freaky, but great learning experience.

After our rough 5 hour round trip to san clemente we were back at catalina. Did a dive at the active rock quarry (not sure of site name). Not really spectacular. One of my dive buddies had never been in kelp so he loved it.

Next up was Goat Harbor. Great dive. Saw some BSB and my buddy got some great footage of them. Saw one bat ray gliding overhead but he was gone before any video was caught. Also more kep experience for my other buddy.

Lastly, we did Red Bluff. Other than the rock formations, this was a downright uneventful dive.

End result: paid a bit more for an unnecessary 5 hours of rough seas, one extra dive and a very crowded boat. For the cost, I'd rather have stayed home on saturday and just did 3 on the Magician (my fave). They didn't check people into/out of the water the first two dives but did do roll call, except after night dive. Food when we boarded saturday night was a few fruit and PB&J if you wanna make a sandwich. I am a bit disappointed in the weekend but diving with good guys/friends made it a worthwhile trip. The guy doing air fills worked his ass off and the cook provided a great breakfast. lunch and dinner. Still remained odd that nothing was available when we boarded but could see large jars of salsa, cakes, etc in storage. ????

What boat did you go on to San Clemente?

that would suck. Seems like the boat could have checked prior to leaving

Surprised they didn't check to see if people would be allowed to dive San Clemente before motoring out there. I don't know what boat you were on, but I would be very upset and would not be giving any repeat business....especially with the lackluster back-up dives.

Bummer :(

Permission to dive Clemente (as far as I know) can be withdrawn rather rapidly when a boat is still en route or even at the Island.

Has happened to me a couple of times.

yeah, getting to San Clemente is great but boats can be halfway there before they find out the Navy is closing it. We were on the Great Escape a few years ago, supposed to go there. Boat left in middle of the night and we woke up at Santa Barbara... it wasn't a big deal to us as we had never been there but some people on boat were grumbling. Capt Tim told us that he got the report that San Clemente was closed about the time they left the harbor, everyone was asleep, no need to wake everyone to say we were re-routed.
Our next two trips scheduled for San Clemente made it there.... and it was awesome! I highly recommend you keep trying, it is worth the hassle.

Glad you did get in some good dives though. I still haven't seen an angelshark.

robin:D

I still haven't seen an angelshark.

robin:D

Okay, so I've never seen a GSB...but I HAVE seen several angelsharks! (Now I feel better!) :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom