So what do I want in a Coz dive trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really doesn't matter much whom I dive with as I tend to do whatever I want, tip well enough that they take me where I want and let me do whatever, etc - but still, there are differences that can make it nicer or not sure. I've been very pleased with SM in planning and set-up and I am certainly looking forward to trying them out myself. I never got to communicate with the actual dive shop staff in advance for the last few years trips, just the yield manager, and this has been nicer. So we'll see in due time...
I have never dived with them. Therefore do not brag about them. Or Judy, apparently. Therefore, not "everyone".
Damn, I didn't notice that I typed "everyone"....! A total typo of unknown origin. I could not imagine what you were up about but I finally noticed. Will edit! As I have said in other threads, they're (almost) all good and it doesn't matter much whom you go with as long as you get the basics you prefer, i.e small, fast boat vs big, slow boat with head & camera bucket, etc. Some members here go overboard at times cheering their favorites but I ignore that at best, ridicule it more likely.

An editor I used to write for once told me to read my works upside down to break the habit of reading over my mistakes; I tried that for a minute once I think - then told her editing was her job, just don't get carried away. She did once and we had words! I don't write for editors anymore, but I do get into the habit of reading over my mistakes still - and I could not imagine what the hell you were so bent about until I went back to quote myself. Damn! Oh well, thanks for the correction; sorry I didn't notice what you meant for a while.
Hey Don, have a great trip. Don't forget a trip report.:cowboy:
Thanks, but this is the report as it happens. Will update. I tried to get a couple of hours sleep but that didn't work well. Will sleep well there I'm sure.

DandyDon:

I wish you a great trip. You are a great example of the "rational man", taking into account all relevant information to come up with a wise decision. In my MBA teaching, I just might use your example.

Regarding the scuba operator, I think it is more how you tolerate, deal with, and lead them. I am sure you will be fine.

I am looking forward to November when I fly from LAX to CUN nonstop (hopefully getting upgraded again), do the bag-drag (or stay in PDC for another cenote dive), Casa Mexicana, and Blue XT Sea for six days. Life is good.

Best wishes,

Selo

Gawd I am tired. Couldn't get sleepy earlier even tho I'd tried that, did get over an hour of sleep before the alarm went off at midnight, got to my bud's at 2am, and - he was all ready?! :confused: What's with that? Surprises never cease. Driving an empty interstate in the dark is pretty boring but I kept awake and on watch for varmits & livestock and we were soon in Amarillo for a pit stop, then on to the airport on the other side of town much earlier than needed. Surplus flex time is always nice when one absolutely must be on the plane on time.

I'd wanted to upgrade to First Class online for $100 each the day before if possible since we were going to pay for extra bags anyway, but that seems to be an old deal gone away. They wanted $320 per segment - absurd, but then on check in the agent asked "Would you like to upgrade to first for $59?" Jer is wondering what that meant even tho he's flow FC with me a few times for free, but I am like "YES!" :eyebrow: So she scanned him and his Visa card and he was in, but then she ran out of FC seats. I handled all the plans & details and he gets the reward while I get to pay half that much just to check my second bag. :mad:

And they were so picky on weights, finding one of my bags 2# over so I pulled that much out and stuck it in one of his. We could have used his FC boarding pass to go to the Presidents lounge in Houston but it was much too early for alcohol so we stepped outside for a smoke instead, then used his FC BP for the priority security lane. It would have been unbearable if he'd ended up next to a gorgeous lady traveling alone, but he didn't - so he got the free drinks, leg room, and nice snack while I slept in Coach, something I can't do in FC because I like to use the benefits. We were clearing Customs in Cozumel by noon. :eyebrow:

I've said that I like local style in hotels, but that's a sliding thing that can go too far of course - like a stay we did in Playa del Carmen once, but Villablanca is nice without being going overboard. The check-in lobby may give a bad first impression but we moved on beyond that quickly enough. I haven't seen a Standard room but our connecting Superior rooms are spiffy, one with a couch, the other with a dining table with a wet bar & microwave, both with full size apartment fridges, and both huge with strong ACs and strong WiFi signal! The bathrooms are huge too, but the sunken bathtubs have no stoppers and no faucets - just showers, so they're really huge shower stalls. It would take an hour or two to fill if we found a stopper and the water would lose its heat to the shower spray anyway. I guess they decided they didn't want to pay for filling large bubble baths or worse - divers rinsing sandy gear. No signs requesting toilet paper in trash cans so we'll see how good their plumbing holds up.

We then went next door to check-in with Scuba Mau and leave my pony for overnight filling - really nice folks! The dive shop at my old hotel is fine, but there is something special about a shop whose people all act like they are glad to see you. Went back later with our BCs, regs, and fins for them to handle and to lighten our loads in the morning.

Next stop was Mega for a $10 coffee maker, Don Pacho coffee liqueur and other goodies too heavy to pack. They did have a one cup maker for less than $10, but the cheapest 12 cup was like $16, same brand I buy for $12 at home. Christi offered to get me prices & brands on $10 makers and she is surely a better shopper than I, so I guess I should have accepted her nice offer - but this is close enough. In room coffee all week for $16 plus coffee and at the end we'll give it to someone.

With all my intense planning, then being unable to sleep worrying about what I forgot, I did grab the overlooked mainland maps at the last minute - but still failed. It's always something! With all of the just-in-case and probably-good-ideas meds I did bring, I forgot the one I had to have! Grrr. Mega didn't know what it was by brand name so I looked it up online and went to Dori's (go to the one on Juarez, not the small one) and found it[-] - for more than twice what it costs in the states[/-]. Edit: I was wrong - Doris was not twice as high as US - just about the same. I usually buy these overseas for so much less that I had to rethink US prices. Got 'em tho so good deal. Oh well. I'd heard that Mexico was getting tighter on what the US requires doc prescriptions but that was no problem - just the cruise port prices. Cipro hydrocortizone ear drops are up to $16-20 now vs the $7 last time I bought some years ago. Nice to have in case of Swimmers Ear, but we'll be diligent about our alcohol-vinegar rinses and if that fails us - DAN will pay for the doc & drugs if we can get all of the claims in okay.

I do need to get to a safe ATM and get some Pesos. The bar above Scuba Mau is giving 13:1 on Dollars but other places are running 12 to as little as 10, and the taxis are trying to charge more than ever for simple runs into town - as much as 70 Peso/$6 with one. :idk:

We did work a two hour siesta in along the way, had to have it, and still made Parillo's for a nice supper before 9pm. Hey we came a long ways and got a lot done in one long day. :cool2: I still need to get setup for the morning and my birthday dives; looking forward to good diving, a nicer siesta, then the gathering dinner. I'll try to make tomorrow's update more interesting, short of having another CESA event or some other dumb mistake.
DandyDon:

I wish you a great trip. You are a great example of the "rational man", taking into account all relevant information to come up with a wise decision. In my MBA teaching, I just might use your example.

Regarding the scuba operator, I think it is more how you tolerate, deal with, and lead them. I am sure you will be fine.

I am looking forward to November when I fly from LAX to CUN nonstop (hopefully getting upgraded again), do the bag-drag (or stay in PDC for another cenote dive), Casa Mexicana, and Blue XT Sea for six days. Life is good.

Best wishes,

Selo
Haha you're too kind. I've done this enough times that I've learned some things, learned some shopping tips helping others here on SB, but also got into some habits that needed to be explored. New approaches can go either way but it's all part of adventure travel. :thumb:

Now let's see if I have any more ridiculous typos here...

Last edited:
What a great report, looking forward to reading all the details about Day 2. Enjoy your dives and of course
Happy Birthday, Don !

Happy Birthday Don!! Great report on your first day. As far as the taxi rate goes, 70 peso is the official rate from the Villablanca to downtown for 1-4 people. 5+ you doubke te rate. I say give the coffemaker to the diveshop when you leave.

Keep it coming DD! I was thinking as I read that Opal, Mau, and the DM's at Scuba Mau would make good use of the coffee maker too when you leave...Good idea DiverG! Happy Birthday DD, hope your special day 2 dives are extra special. I look forward to reading more. Who is your DM and what boat are you on? Safe bubbles to you!

I do need to get to a safe ATM and get some Pesos. The bar above Scuba Mau is giving 13:1 on Dollars but other places are running 12 to as little as 10 :thumb:

Hey Don, keep us all posted on the ATM's. I was not aware you could change money at the resorts.

Time for new friends, Don. First class allows for THREE bags up to 70 lbs each. They guy got the seat, I'm guessing had his own 2 bags and didn't think to say your 2nd was also his so it would go for free?!?!?!

I've stayed in the room with the big table and sink. Used to have a toaster, coffee pot and microwave.

On previous trips where DH or I needed meds, Chedraui's farmacia has always been better stocked and a little cheaper then Mega. The ones back in town are usually pretty good too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom