So what is too overweight to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually Lowell....I'm beginning to think that 3 man teams might be the way to go in some instances. I still think that someone who has 'accepted the risks' has probably still not thought it through in stark reality. Trauma can be very savage, especially in a child, or life partner.

In the end though it doesn't even have to be an accident to do harm. I'm quite sure my wife would worry more about me diving if I was seriously overweight than she has done up until now. She might not say anything, but it would still be an added pressure.

Charlie99:
Obesity and DCS has a general discussion, with links to several journal articles. In some of the articles, "fat" is defined by skin fold thickness rather than BMI.

Charlie Allen

Great information. Much appreciated!

almitywife:
Kim... for all your posts... do you want to loose weight to remove the risk that worries you??
I'm building up to cutting out the beer (well...most of it) and starting to walk again. Just like giving up smoking it takes a little mental preparation. This is probably part of that process! :wink:

(and hey........at least this is supposed to be a thoughtful thread about DIVING!!!!!!! that's what this board is about isn't it?)

Guys and Gals.....
I'm 255 and 6'0". I'm FAT.....in shape, but fat. Sure pissed off the doc that made me do the stress test,EKG,lung xray, colon check to do my Rescue class last year because she thought I was a giant couch spud. Of course she was 90lbs soaking wet and was in bad need of some bisquits and gravy.......my wife was shocked when the Doc called on a Sunday(shocked because this was a military doc) and apologized for holding up my dive papers after she got the results of my tests....
97% percentile for my age group.......
now I should stop drinking great beer and eating ribeye steaks as often, and the smoking is just plain bad(don't go there) but, other than running, there is very little the skinny guy can outdo me in.
I dive with a small buddy, GREAT DIVER, but ain't no way in Hell he is going to get me back on my boat by himself. I like to think we dive together because we enjoy each others company(or he just like to dive off my boat).
Maybe this is just my imagination, but I think I know more "unfit" skinny people than "fat" people. We are not talking EXTREME OBESITY here
So, dive with me because of who I am, not how I look.

Oh, during my rescue class, I was chastized.....I should of actually taken the gear of the 200 lb. tired diver before I yanked him up out of the pool.
I'm digging me Deco Class at the moment.....
But the Local Tech Guru won't let me tech with him............I smoke......

I admit that I haven't read the entire thread, so if this is a repeat, my apologies.

But I am one of those super small, super skinny divers (5'5", 105lbs), and not very strong at all. Yea, it's a disadvantage, for sure. I can't lift as much, and if i ever have to rescue an obese diver, well, i'll do what I can. most of my diving is shore diving, and i wont be able to get them out of the water completely, but i can get head and shoulders out and perform CPR all the same.

It's really amazing what I can do (and bodies in general) when I am stressed and full of adrenaline...I can lift an entire keg of beer when in flight or flight mode (yes, i've done it a few times...but just off the floor, i can't get them over my head or anything :D). But I can't lift one normally. So if I have to rescue someone and haul them out of the water, I'm pretty sure I'll be stressed enough to get the adrenaline going and do a pretty damn good job. There are limits, though.

so, how overweight is too overweight? I don't really know. all i know is that if you're relatively healthy, can get most of your gear on without too much trouble, and are reasonable about your diving abilities and limitations and don't do Stupid Things, then you're probably ok.

creamofwheat:
I admit that I haven't read the entire thread, so if this is a repeat, my apologies.

But I am one of those super small, super skinny divers (5'5", 105lbs), and not very strong at all. Yea, it's a disadvantage, for sure. I can't lift as much, and if i ever have to rescue an obese diver, well, i'll do what I can. most of my diving is shore diving, and i wont be able to get them out of the water completely, but i can get head and shoulders out and perform CPR all the same.

It's really amazing what I can do (and bodies in general) when I am stressed and full of adrenaline...I can lift an entire keg of beer when in flight or flight mode (yes, i've done it a few times...but just off the floor, i can't get them over my head or anything :D). But I can't lift one normally. So if I have to rescue someone and haul them out of the water, I'm pretty sure I'll be stressed enough to get the adrenaline going and do a pretty damn good job. There are limits, though.

so, how overweight is too overweight? I don't really know. all i know is that if you're relatively healthy, can get most of your gear on without too much trouble, and are reasonable about your diving abilities and limitations and don't do Stupid Things, then you're probably ok.

I'm in the super Jumb size, and I do worry about this issue. I exersize, have a low sac rate, but if I ever need help, most others will have a major issue. On the other hand, your in the other camp, where a 200 lb person, with all their gear, would be a bit to handle..

So should a person be able to lift their own weight? I can. But if I need rescue, it is not me that would have to do the lifting.

So should a person be able to lift the weight of the person they dive with? What about a boat dive? There are people there to help.

Oh, is that a dead lift? Should it include gear?

I would suspect that the heavy people should try to come down and the light people should try to go up (in strenth) and that is about the best we can expect.

Kim:
I'm building up to cutting out the beer (well...most of it) and starting to walk again. Just like giving up smoking it takes a little mental preparation. This is probably part of that process! :wink:

(and hey........at least this is supposed to be a thoughtful thread about DIVING!!!!!!! that's what this board is about isn't it?)
You need a goal ... something you can picture in your head that'll give you incentive to change your regular routine when you don't really feel like it. Mine was tech diving ... something I really wanted to do and knew wouldn't be a good idea unless I was in better shape.

Got a stationary bike back in November. Started out doing just 10 minutes a day ... then 12 ... then 15 ... etc. Most mornings I'd wake up with "reasons" why I should just skip today. That's when that goal comes in handy ... do I really want this (goal) or not? If so, then get on the bike and start pedalling. I'm up to 45 minutes or more a day now, and I don't wake up with excuses anymore ... it gets to be a part of your daily routine after a while.

Another thing I discovered long ago is that diets don't work for me ... I'll lose weight, but when I stop the diet it comes back with a vengeance. So don't give up the beer ... just cut back. As the saying goes ... all things in moderation. Make choices you can stick with for a lifetime ... because if you stop and go back to your old habits you're gonna have to start all over again.

I've been heavy all my life ... and I'll probably always be heavy. I'm normally pretty comfortable with it ... until it prevents me from doing something I want to do. That's when I'm "too heavy" ... and when it's time to do something about it. If you're concerned that your weight is going to prevent you from diving, then you've answered your own question. You've got your justification ... decide which you want more, and make your choice accordingly.

Just know this ... it ain't how you look that's going to make that determination ... it's how you feel. Your body will tell you when it's not up to the task ... and then it's time to stop talking and start walking ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom