So what takes your breath away...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving a local reef when conditions improve dramatically. One local spot, an artificial reef 3/4 mile from shore can have anywhere from fifteen feet visibility down to less than two feet.

This is what we had there this weekend;

PhilsReef10-2.jpg

PhilsReef4-3.jpg

PhilsReef3-4.jpg

PhilsReef7-2.jpg

Blue water diving -- being surrounded by nothing but blue, with no visual points of reference up,down or in any other direction. If a critter were to come by for visit, that would be incredible, but it's awesome just to hang there in the abyss and be.

I may be cheating here...I've already replied to this question once, but I thought of another experience that robbed me of my breath and continues to do so every time I remember it. I apologize in advance for its lengthiness.

"I once descended down the mooring line toward a reef, my light falling upon little else but my dive partner and the thick rope. We were a party of scientists and educators exploring the Flower Gardens Banks off the coast of Texas. At about sixty feet, something flashed past my mask, winking with a pale but stark bluish light. It was some small bioluminescent sea creature, and I marveled at its brief, firefly-like appearance. It was a filamentous strand about eight inches long with seven or eight tiny lights strung along its threadlike body. Each light, starting at the bottom, would light up and wink out in sequence, then the process would start over. I had never seen anything like that before underwater.
My attention refocused on the descent, but more of the little organisms glided past me on the current. On a whim, I turned off my light and my eyes adjusted to the darkness. Only it wasn’t “dark”. Hundreds, no thousands...no, millions of the tiny creatures hung in the water column all around us. I urgently rapped my dive partner’s tank and motioned for him to kill his light, and he did so. In fact, all the other divers in the party did the same thing. As their lights winked out, the true nature of the incredible spectacle made itself known.Those little creatures close to us lit up clearly. Others, farther away, glowed and gleamed. The millions of others in the distance blurred together in a bluish glow that extended as far as the eye could see. It was like swimming in the middle of the Milky Way, that pale iridescence that extends across a clear summer sky. As the whole moving panoply of living light moved by us on the current, I could only marvel at the truly spectacular beauty of God’s creations.

Later, back on the boat I asked one of our resident marine biologists what the little creatures were and how often they appeared in such remarkable numbers.

“I have no idea,” he replied. “I’ve been out here on hundreds of dives, and I’ve never seen anything like it either.”

from "Out of the Blue--Inspirational Stories for Divers"

Diving a local reef when conditions improve dramatically. One local spot, an artificial reef 3/4 mile from shore can have anywhere from fifteen feet visibility down to less than two feet.

PhilsReef10-2.jpg

I love that shot! It is surreal.

---------- Post Merged at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Blue water, bizarre creatures, depths I haven't quite reached yet (my deepest is 168ft) special times with family, and yes, just looking around you in awe and taking it all in. Sometimes words just can't describe it. :)

How many? I can run 5, 6, flights before getting winded..:wink: On the other hand if it is a cave I want to penetrate, I can swim several hundred feet against flow before I get winded.. I guess it is in all what you let take your breath away....

Two nations, separated by humour...

seeing the full moon to east hanging over the ocean after surfacing from a night dive where all you see the ocean and the moon in a dark sky.

Descending and seeing the shape of a wreck coming out of the blue

Oh, yes.

My first wreck dive started with a descent in murky water typical for local diving -- maybe 15' visibility at best. My buddy was having a bit of a trouble equalising, so I was keeping an eye on him a bit further up the line. Just after a passing through a thermocline at about 35', I looked down the line to make sure the rest of the group were still there.

They were. And I could see sand beneath them. I was thinking 'Huh? The bottom's at 110'. We couldn't possibly have dropped another 60' in those few moments.' And then I looked up a little and realised that the visibility beneath the thermocline had opened up to 60'+. I was staring at the silhouette of the whole 130' wreck right in front of me.

OK, so you warm water divers are thinking '60' isn't that great', but we almost never get visibility like that here. I wasn't at all expecting to see a whole ship down there; I thought it'd just be almost unidentifiable pieces of boat in 12' murk.

Okay, a few weeks ago, diving at my favorite dive spot (yes, the one I saw a stingray), with some students (who saw this and were quite amused! The bastards!), was swimming leisurely alongside the reef wall and saw that there was a sea snake (yeah, one of the REALLY poisonous ones!!!) swimming almost parallel to me, about 5 feet away. I guess it saw me and thought, "Gee, i wonder if I can eat that????", so turned directly towards me....swam towards me...and as I am back-pedalling with my hands to get away, swims right up to my chest and sticks its tongue out and licks me.
Yeah. It licked me.
As I am watching this, ready to totally Freak! Out! Big! Time! It swims away.....
Geez......welcome to Okinawa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom