So why wouldn't you support a good LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best gear is old, second hand made.

So why wouldn't you support a good LDS?

I would never "support" my LDS.

I shop at my LDS exclusively because THEY support ME.

I support my LDS when ever possible. Just a couple of weeks ago I bought a new set of doubles online, total was right at $1,050 including shipping. My LDS wanted to charge me $550 per tank, $275 for manifold, and $175 for bands ($1,550 + tax). This was a no brainer. However, in the close future, possibly next year, I will be buying more regulators from my LDS, looking at $2K in regulators. I can buy the same regs online for $1,500 from Leisure Pro, but then I won't get the service that I really want. I think when it comes to buying gear online, some stuff is alright buying it online, but your life line equipment should come from your LDS.

I was once told "You can't buy air online!!!" I will have to say "You can buy air online", I can buy a compressor online, but the up front cost is very high for the average diver to buy one.

Well I am sorry to say that all of this negative stuff is almost good to hear!

I live in a major city where there is like 4 dive shops, not a lot to offer for diving period and where the climate only allows for 7 months of diving where 2 or 3 of those months have temps below 55 F.

You would think that these guys would be doing their best to excel in all areas of their business but this is so far from the case it almost makes me want to open up shop. Their is one however that seems to out shine the others just with their honesty and straight forward advice. Not to mention the owner is a very attractive woman who likes to wear clothes of the "snug fitting" style, fine with me.

I find it odd that in this day and age where customer service and competitive pricing will pretty much dictate success that these shops, and not only in the dive industry, don't go out of their way to implement these two very important aspects.

Well I am sorry to say that all of this negative stuff is almost good to hear!

I live in a major city where there is like 4 dive shops, not a lot to offer for diving period and where the climate only allows for 7 months of diving where 2 or 3 of those months have temps below 55 F.

You would think that these guys would be doing their best to excel in all areas of their business but this is so far from the case it almost makes me want to open up shop. Their is one however that seems to out shine the others just with their honesty and straight forward advice. Not to mention the owner is a very attractive woman who likes to wear clothes of the "snug fitting" style, fine with me.

I find it odd that in this day and age where customer service and competitive pricing will pretty much dictate success that these shops, and not only in the dive industry, don't go out of their way to implement these two very important aspects.

I think you mentioned three...Customer service, competitive pricing and a woman with tight fitting clothes. :)

I live in the Midwest, out in the sticks, about 100 miles round-trip to the only LDS I know of. All they do is certify divers in a pool and quarry, sell over-priced gear and try to sign you up for some super expensive, cattle boat dive trip. That should answer your question.

I have not found the LDS yet in my area that has and is willing to sell what I want at a reasonably competitive price and does not try to pull some BS scam on me. Of course, one of the things I want to be able to buy is repair and service parts and that is a big stumbling block in scuba. So, a shopping I will go....

It really is not worth getting air at dive shop when it could cost you 1/2 the price of a fill to get there, and 1/2 the price of a fill to get home.

I have met divers that went through to instructor, and that is what I posted that I have seen go on.
I will go to a dive shop and buy, but I do not just buy at one shop. I spread the wealth, and here in washington for rec scuba diver there are some great shops. The tech is getting better, although I do not associate with them, as I fill and dive solo on my tech dives. They do more tech shore dives, and they are mostly classes. They do some deep wrecks, and someone with a big boat, they all become friends for awhile.

We do have great diving here, and alot of divers, this is why we have a high rate of divers dieng, or they get bent a little. The diveshops here have most all manufactures in them. you can move here and one of the dive shops will have what you dive.

And this gimmick that dive shops make no money on air, is way for you to not feel bad, to pay for air. I helped an old guy open a shop in west seattle, he has had several in washington through the years. Air and banked nitrox, a big compressor. He never made many gear sales, the air card was his income, fills paid the rent, and gave the shop profit.

Now look at 6 a fill, 10 fills is 60 bucks, at the end of the month that is 1800.00, 23,600.00 a year. Now make 40% on everything you sell. They make money. The only reason they go out of business, is they are not good with money, and try to live out of there means.

Of course with holding a trend that they never make money, robbers never go in a dive shop and rob them, at a busy dive shop they will bring in a lot of cash for air sales. But even the robbers are brained washed that they have no money in the till.

A dive shop is a dive shop. Does not matter if storefront, or online.

I guess I need to develop a new appreciation for my local shop in Colorado. Let me tell you what they do that some of you might suggest to you own LDS. First, for students who certify there they give a substantial discount on equipment purchased before, during and within a few months of the course taken. Second, they sponsor dive trips that are a real godsend for those divers who don't have the time or don't want to plan and book their own travel. Third, they sponsor a dive club that has social activities that include, but are not limited to diving. Fourth, they limit their inventory of gear to a few lines (which holds down overhead) but they can order anything you want. Fifth, they have a pool, and they make it available to students and customers who buy equipment to mark some pool time before a dive trip to familiarize themselves with the new gear or to refresh their skills, at no cost, when the pool is not otherwise occupied. I have bought a few things online, but I'd rather get gear that fits me, that I am oriented on by a knowledgeable distributor, and I like knowing that I can get it serviced where I bought it. So there is the other side of the coin. Not all dive shops are alike. I am glad I have a good one. It is my friend.
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom