So you have x amount of dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I notice for certian certs you need to have a specific amount of dives under your belt. I also notice that below peoples names that there is an amount of dives.

What qualifes as a dive? :idk:

As you've already seen, there is a wide variety of opinion in what people consider a loggable dive. For most instances, it's pretty much a personal decision what you log and the requirements are what you choose to make them. Just be aware that if you're trying to meet the qualifications for a specific course, the instructor may choose not to accept or count certain dives towards your total.

My advice: Log what YOU want and if you are interested in taking a specific course, discuss the requirements with the instructor ahead of time to make sure you have a clear understanding what types of dives are acceptable before enrolling.

After all the replies...(sorry if it seems I am hijacking the post not my intention) I called my instructor and asked him to explain why he had us log the two pool sessions from our wreck course...(I was skeptical at the beginning) he basically said what everyone here said...log what I want...but in the instance of the two pool sessions when we were for an hour + doing class work...working on boyancy (different planes) reel work and some other stuff he said we should consider it as it was part of a course...but if we were just trying out some knew gear, getting wet just to break the winter funk well then we may just want to consider noting it but not couning it as a "logged dive"

I do not want to make to much of it cause anyone can write anything they want in a log and sign it or have someone sign it, but its good question like this that make one think about why somethings are important and others well for your own informational purpose.

Great question and great opinions.

Thanks

After all the replies...(sorry if it seems I am hijacking the post not my intention) I called my instructor and asked him to explain why he had us log the two pool sessions from our wreck course...

It's pretty common for instructors to have you log any dives done during a class, including pool dives. It's part of the proof of training and skills and typically they will sign your log book and have you sign theirs.

I logged a 45 minute dive in the Great Ocean Tank in the New England Aquarium, but have never logged a swimming pool dive. But it really doesn't matter. As has been said many times, your log is for your use unless you are going to go on to be a dive pro.
All my dives since about dive #50 have been logged electronically, so even short, shallow ones will be recorded unless I delete them.

I've never logged pool dives. During my rescue course we had several dives of 3-10 minutes. At the end of the day my buddy and I went out to the reef and spent the rest of our air, about 30 minutes. I logged the entire day as one dive and included all the time spent under water because I used the same tank. I've also never counted a second dive if I used the same tank as the previous dive. If I have to go back down to free the anchor I may add that time to my first dive but wouldn't consider it a second dive.

Every time you gear up it is a dive. (Assuming you were honestly going to hit open water)

Should conditions keep you on-board it is still experience and qualifies as a "dive".

If you wimp out when others splash it does not.

Depth and time are irrelevant.

Pools never count.

IIRC, SSI for either some of the advanced ratings, or perhaps it's the instructor path, require both dives & time. For instance, I think one of them is something like 50 dives and at least 30 hours under water. Something like that. Can't find it now, but swear I read something to that effect previously.

Most agencies are looking for logged open water dives. But what about tracking bottom time? I've examined log books with lots of short dives but little bottom time and log books with a small number of dives, but lots of bottom time.

I keep separate logs for open water and aquarium dives. I don't log pool dives, but I do log who I've trained and any notes about their training. In addition, I also keep track of bottom time that I am using a full face mask in the aquarium.

Just remember, your log book is YOUR diving history record. Track whatever you want. If you need to verify specifically your open water dives, it should be easy to pull from your log book.

Although I personally do not agree with doing bounce dives just to boost up #'s (no experience really gained), I've had some of my most memorable dive in less than 10 ft of water. I spent 45 min, in Ginnie Springs Devil's run, practicing slave drills & buoyancy, then chasing these little fresh water flounders around the run. I've never had so much fun! I also did a dive at Sipadan in less than 10 ft of water. There was soooo much to see. Fish & coral everywhere. I have also done some very short dives,... most of them dives that were aborted early for this reason or that. I took the effort to gear up & get down,.. I'll count it. Do I count pool dives? no,... but if a reasonable effort is made to make the dive, I count it.

I love playing with the hog choakers :) (freshwater flounders)

Back
Top Bottom