SoFlorida: Looking to return to Diving... and NAUI/PADI questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob Phillips

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - brand new to the board and looking to get back into diving after a 20 year absence. (skip down to the questions if you don't want the preamble, thanks!!)

I was certified NAUI junior open water 1 back in 92 or 93 when I was around 14 years old. My instructors were incredible, but demanding and the course was fairly rigorous. Multiple classroom sessions, written test, multiple pool sessions, fitness stuff (like laps underwater etc…) , and 5 dives - a sandy shore entry, a rocky shore entry, and 3 boat dives. We used no computers, and we did a lot of rescue techniques and buddy breathing. I remember being wrapped up in kelp by my instructor near Catalina about 40’ down - he knocked my mask and regulator out and then made sure I was able to get out of my BC, find the regulator, clear the mask, detangle the vest and put everything back on and give a thumbs up. Water was cold as hell and our max depth was around 85-90’ on our last boat dive. And we had to figure out all the decomp stuff ourselves. It was great - but very thorough I felt. It built a lot of confidence.

Anyway, life, school, lack of buddies, etc … I haven’t been diving in 20 years - live in Florida for 10 years now and it’s long past due I get certified again. I want to start from scratch and I’d love a good instructor. I love a good time, but when it comes to these types of things I’m pretty conservative and safety conscious.

Back in the day I was led to believe (perhaps mistakenly) that NAUI was a more thorough course at the beginner levels - whereas PADI was more tailored to vacation divers.

I’m sure any discrepancy between the two is largely irrelevant (?) and Im just looking for a good instructor - whatever program he or she follows.

So I called around near me - and could not find any NAUI instructors - spoke to a couple of PADI instructors and it seems OW cert is just a DVD, some questions, a day in the pool, and a day diving - possibly two dive days. Seemed to me to be easier and quicker than my Junior cert 2 decades ago - but either way I’m anxious to get moving on it. just a few questions - thanks!

1. Is it normal for beginner OW courses to be a "3 day, DVD-couple hours in the pool-couple of dives", kind of deal?

2. Is there anything I should be concerned about with regard to diving and smoking (I smoke maybe 7-10 cigarettes per day, otherwise in good health, about 5'8" 160, no conditions) - I've been looking to quit for a while now, and maybe this will give me the kind of push I need - but fact is I do smoke and have for 15-20 years or so now. Am I at some enhanced risk for DCI or other concerns?

3. Is this a good time of year, generally speaking, conditions-wise in Florida to start diving?

4. Any instructor recommendations in the Delray/ Boynton area in FL? (I can ask on the Florida forum specifically if thats more appropriate) And related question - is there any benefit or drawback to selecting NAUI over PADI or vice versa?

5. Unrelated but curious - What's the benefit of using split fins? I've seen a lot of divers on youtube using these?

Thanks for reading!

I'm just a diver, not an instructor, but I do live and dive in South Florida so I'll answer what I can:

1. Pretty much. Usually the instructor the will have you read through the OW book and answer all the questions, and then at a later date go over them with you, helping you with any questions you struggle with, and then taking a written exam.

2. I'm sure you'll be fine, I've seen a bunch of divers that smoke/vape and they do fine.

3. It's a bit colder than normal right now, and conditions can vary greatly. A few weeks ago I went out it was 4-5' seas, and I hear last weekend was rather calm (although it was cold!). You might be able to get a decent deal on an OW course this time of year because it's definitely a slower time of year for instructors.

4. I can't make any recommendations in the Delray/Boynton area, but the instructor that did my OW, AOW and other certs is great and has a dive boat in WPB. Lot of nice dive sites here in WPB, so you may want to come up and dive WPB/Jupiter after you get certified again! I think for the OW course both agencies will have a similar course. It all depends on what your end goal is as far as certifications. The certifying agency means very little once you're done training, it's all about the instructor.

5. I've heard they're very maneuverable and can be great for people that frog kick. Personally I use some really long freedive fins.

1. recently yes. hotly debated whether it is ok or a plain bad idea. never seen anybody argue they are a good idea.

2. http://www.globalunderwaterexplorers.org/impacts-smoking-diving
TLDR is that it is not a good idea, though people do smoke and dive

5. Somewhat of a fad that has started to pass. beneficial for some divers with bad joints.

maybe just look into a refresher instead of a full blown OW class.

You ask 5 questions. Only #3 is not just personal preference or likely to generate heated opinions! Although, #2 is probably going to give you a lot of negative feedback, and nothing supportive. Some quick answers, IMHO:
1. A short class is not uncommon, although 4 open water dives is the standard. Look for a class with lots of pool time.
2. Nasty habit. It can lose you dive buddies on a boat, and during class no one will want to share air with you.
3. Any time is fine.
4. The agency is irrelevant, it is the instructor that counts. Talk to them, interview them. Pay for a private class if you have to.
5. Split fins are OK, but provide less power and less maneuverability. They only work OK with a flutter kick. Other kicks (like frog) need blade fins.

If you want to find and contact the NAUI folks in your area, you can reach them directly through www.naui.org and the contact page there.

I just want to respond to a couple of points about the training.

PADI requires 4 open water dives, and only 3 can be done in one day. It is therefore not possible to complete all of the dives in one day without violating standards.

It is hard to do the pool sessions in one day unless you have only 1-2 students who really get it all quickly.

I was certified NAUI junior open water 1 back in 92 or 93 when I was around 14 years old. My instructors were incredible, but demanding and the course was fairly rigorous. Multiple classroom sessions, written test, multiple pool sessions, fitness stuff (like laps underwater etc…) , and 5 dives - a sandy shore entry, a rocky shore entry, and 3 boat dives. We used no computers, and we did a lot of rescue techniques and buddy breathing. I remember being wrapped up in kelp by my instructor near Catalina about 40’ down - he knocked my mask and regulator out and then made sure I was able to get out of my BC, find the regulator, clear the mask, detangle the vest and put everything back on and give a thumbs up. Water was cold as hell and our max depth was around 85-90’ on our last boat dive. And we had to figure out all the decomp stuff ourselves. It was great - but very thorough I felt. It built a lot of confidence.
Sounds like you had a great experience. And, thorough training. And, you will have difficulty finding that kind of teaching today - frankly, it represents too much liability for the Instructor and agency. And, it is generally unnecessary at the OW level. Besides that, OW training is not BUD/S. (If you want that, go to the History / Military Channel and watch re-runs of a series done a number of years ago, which followed a BUD/S class through a number of training evolutions, including diving.) We are not going to rip an OW student's reg out, have them aspirate water and end up in an ER, just to prove how tough we can be. And, that's not a matter of agency, or an issue of training 'vacation divers' (aka 'underwater tourists) vs real 'divers'. It is a matter of focusing on what is necessary to prepare people to safely and enjoyably dive in moderate conditions at the entry level. We no longer require 'buddy breathing', or 'doff and don', either (although I actually will do both skills with private students upon request.)
Rob Phillips:
Back in the day I was led to believe (perhaps mistakenly) that NAUI was a more thorough course at the beginner levels - whereas PADI was more tailored to vacation divers.
I was told the same thing years ago when I wanted to pursue OW training. Took a PADI course and found it very thorough. You can also find thorough SEI, SDI, etc., etc. courses.
Rob Phillips:
I’m sure any discrepancy between the two is largely irrelevant (?) and Im just looking for a good instructor - whatever program he or she follows.
You are right, the agency in this case is largely irrelevant, but the particular instructor is largely relevant.
Rob Phillips:
spoke to a couple of PADI instructors and it seems OW cert is just a DVD, some questions, a day in the pool, and a day diving - possibly two dive days.
Those instructors are free to say whatever they wish, and teach that way. If they can accomplish the course performance objectives like that, good for them. I don't and can't, and therefore won't. But, a lot depends on the student's skills, the number of students, the facilities available, and the Instructor. So I 'Never say never'.
Rob Phillips:
1. Is it normal for beginner OW courses to be a "3 day, DVD-couple hours in the pool-couple of dives", kind of deal?
I don't think it is 'normal'. It is not the way I trained or I prefer to train. But, there is growing demand for 'quicker, cheaper , faster' in almost everything, from food to surgery (I just underwent a 1.5 hour outpatient surgical procedure that used to require a 4 day hospitalization - my total time in the surgical facility was a whopping 3 hours). Scuba isn't rocket science or neurosurgery, and dive shops (and Instructors) will work to meet that demand. And, a lot depends on whether there is one private student, with good pre-existing water skills, or a class of 8 with average water experience. I was at our annual shop staff meeting last evening, and it was announced that we are adding a two-day Confined Water course for eLearning students. They complete their online eLearning before the class, at their pace. They show up Saturday morning and complete paperwork, and take their Quick Review quiz. Then they spend 10 hours in the pool, SAT afternoon and SUN afternoon. After that they spend 2 days, completing 4 Open Water Dives. I didn't sign up to teach one of those classes, but several other Instructors raised their hands.
Rob Phillips:
2. Is there anything I should be concerned about with regard to diving and smoking (I smoke maybe 7-10 cigarettes per day, otherwise in good health, about 5'8" 160, no conditions) - I've been looking to quit for a while now, and maybe this will give me the kind of push I need - but fact is I do smoke and have for 15-20 years or so now. Am I at some enhanced risk for DCI or other concerns?
I know a number of divers who are (unfortunately) smokers. None of them have, to the best of my knowledge experienced DCI. So, the concern is not about diving, per se. Stop smoking. It is a foolish, health-harmful, needlessly expensive habit. Spend the money on dive gear. Or, good bourbon.

I will let FL people address 3 and 4.

Rob Phillips:
5. Unrelated but curious - What's the benefit of using split fins? I've seen a lot of divers on youtube using these?
For some they appear to be easier on the knees. I have used them, they are not Devil Spawn. They are not Ruby Slippers, either.

Last edited:
I know an excellent NAUI instructor in the Delray area. My first choice.If you want more info, send me a note..

Me personally think this is a great time to get certified. By the time you get certified and start diving on your own (with a buddy of course!) the water is warming up and you have all summer to dive dive dive!

You are certified, so you could do a refresher course. Get a OW manual from a used book store and see how much comes back to you. Same thing with fins, mask, and snorkel, go to the beach and see how good you are without the tank. If it comes back to you, take the refresher and spend the savings towards diving or an AOW cert.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom