SoFlorida: Looking to return to Diving... and NAUI/PADI questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Is it normal for beginner OW courses to be a "3 day, DVD-couple hours in the pool-couple of dives", kind of deal?
Normal? Unfortunately, yes. Most people need a lot more time, or individual attention.
2. Is there anything I should be concerned about with regard to diving and smoking
Be concerned with the smoking. It shouldn't affect Scuba.
3. Is this a good time of year, generally speaking, conditions-wise in Florida to start diving?
It varies from week to week. South Florida is warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. It's why I live in the Keys.
4. Any instructor recommendations in the Delray/ Boynton area in FL?
In that area? @MB would be my vote. If you're willing to come a bit more south, then I would love to be your Huckleberry. I teach a very different class than most. You progress at your own pace. You don't kneel. You don't swim with your hands. Everything is done neutrally buoyant.
What's the benefit of using split fins?
I don't use them. I use Hollis Bat Fins, the F1. I don't like them at all. You get to pick and choose, but it's hard to do a frog kick in them.
is there any benefit or drawback to selecting NAUI over PADI or vice versa?
None. The instructor makes all the difference. I don't teach for either.
None.

1. Is it normal for beginner OW courses to be a "3 day, DVD-couple hours in the pool-couple of dives", kind of deal?
Normal, yes. Preferred, No. I just got my daughter certified last year. She did the e-learning in advance, then had an in-class review and test. After passing the test, she started on the pool work. Normal schedule was 5-6 days in the pool. Due to rain, my daughter ended up doing 3 days, then had to join another class to finish up. So she had 6 or 7 days in the pool. Followed by 4 OW dives.

2. Is there anything I should be concerned about with regard to diving and smoking (I smoke maybe 7-10 cigarettes per day, otherwise in good health, about 5'8" 160, no conditions) - I've been looking to quit for a while now, and maybe this will give me the kind of push I need - but fact is I do smoke and have for 15-20 years or so now. Am I at some enhanced risk for DCI or other concerns?
There is increased risk. I'm no Doctor, but google it. Here are a few articles I found with a quick search.
The Tobacco Effect
The Impacts of Smoking on Diving | Global Underwater Explorers
https://www.danap.org/DAN_diving_safety/DAN_Doc/pdfs/smoking.pdf

3. Is this a good time of year, generally speaking, conditions-wise in Florida to start diving?
You can dive in FL pretty much year round. I normally dive 10 months out of the year. A tight schedule and cold-fronts have tended to keep me on dry land for two months or so each year.

4. Any instructor recommendations in the Delray/ Boynton area in FL? (I can ask on the Florida forum specifically if thats more appropriate) And related question - is there any benefit or drawback to selecting NAUI over PADI or vice versa?
Can't help with the instructor recommendation, but there are other certification agencies, so don't just limit yourself to those two. I used SSI for my daughter. Way more important than the agency is the instructor. Though, I'd imagine that a lot of the skills will come back to you quickly given your earlier exposure.

5. Unrelated but curious - What's the benefit of using split fins? I've seen a lot of divers on youtube using these?
I don't use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom