Solmar v. Rocio Del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the chance to talk to both outfits at DEMA last November. We liked both and enjoyed talking through the details of both boats. In the end, Solmar V had a DEMA special that really appealed to our LDS owner. It was better financially for the shop and the guests. Also, the Solmar V owners themselves were in the booth at DEMA and visiting with them was a treat. I'm told Dora is nice as well, but the two people staffing her booth were not as knowledgable on details we asked about. So, from all comments here and my own visits with the two operations, I'm guessing you can't go wrong with either. The comments above regarding camera space reinforced our decision, but we just want to go NOW...not wait until next Feb. "Good things come to those who wait", is what I keep telling myself.
PS, Solmar is experimenting next season with a 9 or 10 diving day excursion....that would be great.

Rob

I have been wanting to go to the Socorro Islands as well and looked into the Rocio Del Mar, the Solmar V, and the Nautilus Explorer. After doing a lot of research I realized any three would be an excellent choice but in the end I felt like the Rocio Del Mar was the best value and I was able to book the first trip of the fall 2014 schedule which is November 8th - 16th. I had to wait until 2014 because I wanted the entire boat. It took me all of about a month to fill it up. However, if anyone else is interested I am starting a wait list because two years is a long way off and a lot can change between now and then.

I am also discounting everyone's price by $500 because I take the free spots and part of the commission and we all share equally in the savings so instead of it being $3295 the cost will be $2795.

Excellent choice! I have done Socorro with the Rocio del Mar and just did the Sea of Cortez with them.

Beaver - how was the diving in Sea of Cortez? Is that the trip also referred to as the Midriff Islands?

I'm so bummed because I just found out about the Socorros and Sea of Cortez as liveaboard options. Rocio's Sea of Cortez trip is very attractive to me because I live in the Phoenix are and could get to the boat via car -- no flights! :D Also, my wife's really not a "liveaboard" type of diver, and she's going skiing in March so I thought a Rocio trip would be perfect but a) they don't dive the Sea of Cortez in March and b) their March Socorro Island trips are booked.

I'm finished whining now and will continue to look for other options.:cool2:

Dan

P.S. Great thread -- thanks to all who've contributed.

Last edited:
Hi all,
are Rocio Del Mar, Solmar V and the Nautilus Explorer the only three boats to do liveaboard trips to Socorro?
I am hoping to be able to do a trip in Nov or Dec 2012 so am researching whats avaialble during that time.
Thanks for any help!

Hi all,
are Rocio Del Mar, Solmar V and the Nautilus Explorer the only three boats to do liveaboard trips to Socorro?
I am hoping to be able to do a trip in Nov or Dec 2012 so am researching whats avaialble during that time.
Thanks for any help!

there is a 4th boat . :: Welcome to Sea Escape ::
never been on it. the agressor had a boat last year but pulled out of the area.

Hi all,
Thanks for any help!

These boats tend to fill trips to Sorocco early, but you might be able to find a last minute cancellation at a discount. Many times the increased short notice air fares will wipe out any savings from a late booking. I don't know about the Sea Escape.

Thanks! I will check out the Sea Escape too.
Not sure if and when I will be able to get time off work yet, so I cant actually book anything right now.
Any recommendations who to book through? Any travel agent or better to use one in Cabo?
Thanks!

book directly with the boat unless you need a date that has a charter. in that case you need to contact who has the charter. likely a dive shop. if your dates can be flexible you might ask about ladt minute deals but these trips are becoming very popular.

Back
Top Bottom