Solmar v. Rocio Del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was really lucky and all four boats were able to offer me a trip to Socorro.
I picked the one with the best dates for me and will be going with Rocio del Mar on December 10-19.
Am really excited about it.
Am hoping to go to La Paz / Isla Espiritu Santo & Cabo Pulmo beforehand.
Thanks for all your help - great thread! :D

Thanks! I will check out the Sea Escape too.
Not sure if and when I will be able to get time off work yet, so I cant actually book anything right now.
Any recommendations who to book through? Any travel agent or better to use one in Cabo?
Thanks!

I just came off the Sea Escape and I would not recommend it. That boat hasn't been maintained in a few years. Gas storage for the zodiacs are kept on the smoking deck. Nitrox went out after five dives. No compressed air for cameras. Camera tables used for storing used dive towels (which were never washed by the bye).

I have booked on the Rocio for May 2015. Their shared cabins seemed better laid out in the deck plans with same level parallel beds with an aisle in between (same with the Nautilus Explorer). As far as I could see, all shared rooms on the Solmar V have the 'traditional' arrangement of a single bunk on top of a double one. I know that only 2 divers per room but being a seasoned liveaboard diver, I find that arrangement rather cramped, especially with 2 diveless days either way on the Socorro trip.

Furthermore, Rocio's terms are more firendly. They are around $350 cheaper overall and ask for only 25% deposit up front whereas Solmar insist on 33%. Dora, Brooke and co are briilaint with their turnaround responses to e-mailed queries.

Finally (and for me this was the clincher), Solmar do not have any 100 Cu ft tanks (15-litre), whereas Rocio have 3 which can be prebooked at no additional fee. I have done that. I much prefer diving with 15-litre steel tanks.

We're booked on Rocio del Mar for September 2013. Our very first liveaboard! It's very comforting to hear so many wonderful reports about it!

I just came off the Sea Escape and I would not recommend it. That boat hasn't been maintained in a few years. Gas storage for the zodiacs are kept on the smoking deck. Nitrox went out after five dives. No compressed air for cameras. Camera tables used for storing used dive towels (which were never washed by the bye).

I am sorry to hear that. Socorro trip is a highly popular and competitive cruise and the "big three" - Nautilus Explorer, Solmar V and Rocio del Mar - seem to be doing their best to provide great facilities for their guests. Sounds like the MV Sea Escape is badly in need of an overhaul and refurbishment.

Hey guys--

So we are booked for our first liveaboard on the Rocio del Mar in the Sea of Cortez in September. We just got back from a mini-vac in Grand Cayman and, surprisingly, I felt distinctly nauseated on the longer boat rides. My husband tells me not to worry, that the Rocio will be very well stabilized so I won't have a problem during our week, but...I'm just a wee bit worried that I've suddenly developed a seasickness problem and that is going to make our very first liveaboard trip problematical.

Any advice, suggestions, opinions? Should I be worried?

After seeing many of my trip mates struggle with sea sickness on the 24 hour trip to the Socorro Islands (Solmar V...same build as Rocia) and reading that even the Sea of Cortez can be a little rough, get your Dr. to prescribe a patch. It helped with most but not all of our travel mates on our trip...24 hours in the open ocean is a long trip. However, on all shorter trips, my dive pals all swear by the patch. Go for maximum protection because spending a week on a live-a-board either in your cabin or on the top part of the boat laying down and not really enjoying the good food is not the most fun. Also, from talking to the Rocio folks late last year at a dive convention, you picked a great month. Not too hot, but the octopus have not died off yet.

Rob

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom