Solmar v. Rocio Del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Peeweediver; like I said, I don't think I'm prone to seasickness, I mean, I haven't been before, so I was surprised this past week in Cayman. Does the patch make you sleepy?

I find that the patch makes me extremely tired and groggy. For me it is like taking extra strong Benadryl and puts me right to bed. Some people cut them up to reduce the dose. I much prefer a couple of Bonine pills which can be purchased almost anywhere over the counter in the US. That's just me though. I have also had the patch fall off while diving.

None of those using the patch on our trip (4 people)complained of being tired. They all used a bandaid over the patch to keep it on. That's about it on what I know. good luck.

Rob

Rocio del Mar is definitively a great option, the service on board is excellent and the crew very pro and friendly.

Here is a video I made in January 2012 while diving on the Rocio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GZB4cF3j24

Also, when visiting the area, I recommend you take a couple of days to discover Cabo Pulmo, one hour drive from San José del Cabo, a beautiful marine reserve with lots of sea life !

I organize dive trips in Cabo Pulmo marine reserve. Check my web site for more infos!

Cabo Pulmo diving - Dive trips in Baja California Sur

Thierry

We did the Solmar V to the Soccorro's a few years ago and it is definitely a bucket list trip. We have nothing but good things to say about the Solmar and would do it again in a heartbeat. Diving with the Humpbacks and feeling the Humpbacks singing in your chest while diving is an experience I will never forget.
:cool3:

Seasickness - even if you have never gotten it take the patches as a precaution.

Thanks, thymex, but, sadly, we only have a week.

As for the seasickness, I guess it's a good idea to be prepared--just in case.

Rocio will be our first liveaboard trip--cannot wait to explore the Sea of Cortez!

None of those using the patch on our trip (4 people)complained of being tired. They all used a bandaid over the patch to keep it on. That's about it on what I know. good luck.

Rob

The active ingredient in the Scop patch contains a sedative. While it may effect people differently drowsiness is a common side effect:

A prescription is needed. Not for children under 18 years old or people who have or have had glaucoma (increased pressure in the eyeball), have difficulty urinating, or an allergy to the active ingredient, scopolamine or other belladonna alkaloids. Most common side effects are dry mouth, drowsiness and blurred vision. When using this product, do not use alcohol, drive, operate dangerous machinery, or do things requiring alertness. If you are elderly, your physician should exercise care in prescribing the Transderm Scōp® patch.

Hi everyone -- I am so sorry for my long absence from the boards, but I wanted to update this and say we had an AWESOME time on the Rocio Del Mar. The staff is friendly, the diving is a little strenuous with the currents, but the wildlife is AMAZING. We swam multiple times with a mother humpback and her curious baby, which was an experience of a lifetime, we swam with dolphins and manta rays -- pretty all the big stuff. We didn't see any tiger sharks, but one of the other dive groups we were with did (the rocio split us up into 3 groups). Overall had a wonderful, wonderful trip. I highly recommend Socorro if you are on the fence -- you wont regret the visit! happy diving!!!

Really glad to hear this. I have a trip booked on the RdM in May 2015 to Socorro. A bit late for humpbacks perhaps but it is really the hammerheads that I am after and May is the peak season for them in Socorro, I understrand.

I have the first trip of the Socorro season in a little over a week on the RDM. Can't wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom