Solo boating AND solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure you have a dive flag so any passerby’s don’t call the CG on an abandoned boat.

Make sure you have a dive flag so any passerby’s don’t call the CG on an abandoned boat.
Sticking the flag on the boat sure beats dragging it around with you

When I lived in Saudi back in the 90s we frequently left the boat unmanned on special moorings that we had installed around certain reefs. It was never an issue apart from one time when I drifted off photographing a school of barracuda and had a long swim back to the reef.

I’ve been boating/diving solo in the Atlantic off of Florida for over 30 years. I do not like leaving my boat unattended, but my need to dive surpasses my misgivings. I’ve adhered to certain principles and procedures which have served me well.

1. Weather and marine conditions must be within my range of acceptability before I even leave the dock. I ALWAYS do a current check upon arrival at any potential dive site, and usually do one soon after leaving the inlet, upon arrival in the open sea. Should conditions change and are not to my liking, I’ve no problem with immediately heading back home.

2. Every descent and ascent is done ON the anchor line. There are a few mooing balls on a couple of shallow reef sites that I visit and know very well. On those occasions I’ll often do a free descent and/or ascent.

3. Upon reaching the anchor after descending, I make absolutely certain that it is secure. Most of my dives are on local wrecks and I know ideal locations to place my grapnel.

4. I do not anchor farther off shore than I am prepared to swim.

5. I deploy a long tag line and float ball from the stern of my boat, and a “granny” line from the stern to my anchor line.

6. I neither plan nor execute boat/solo dives that require lengthy decompression obligations. Should the need arise, I want to be able to reach the surface as quickly as safely possible. All of my “big” dives are done with others aboard or from commercial vessels.

7. There are a multitude of common sense issues like filing a float plan, having O2 and first aid gear up to snuff, a spare radio, flares, fully charged cell phone, dive flag protocol, and etc. that I need not elaborate on here.

I’ve been boating/diving solo in the Atlantic off of Florida for over 30 years. I do not like leaving my boat unattended, but my need to dive surpasses my misgivings. I’ve adhered to certain principles and procedures which have served me well.

1. Weather and marine conditions must be within my range of acceptability before I even leave the dock. I ALWAYS do a current check upon arrival at any potential dive site, and usually do one soon after leaving the inlet, upon arrival in the open sea. Should conditions change and are not to my liking, I’ve no problem with immediately heading back home.

2. Every descent and ascent is done ON the anchor line. There are a few mooing balls on a couple of shallow reef sites that I visit and know very well. On those occasions I’ll often do a free descent and/or ascent.

3. Upon reaching the anchor after descending, I make absolutely certain that it is secure. Most of my dives are on local wrecks and I know ideal locations to place my grapnel.

4. I do not anchor farther off shore than I am prepared to swim.

5. I deploy a long tag line and float ball from the stern of my boat, and a “granny” line from the stern to my anchor line.

6. I neither plan nor execute boat/solo dives that require lengthy decompression obligations. Should the need arise, I want to be able to reach the surface as quickly as safely possible. All of my “big” dives are done with others aboard or from commercial vessels.

7. There are a multitude of common sense issues like filing a float plan, having O2 and first aid gear up to snuff, a spare radio, flares, fully charged cell phone, dive flag protocol, and etc. that I need not elaborate on here.
Just a suggestion, add chain to your anchor and "tie" into the wreck. Wrap it 3 or 4 times around something solid and then loop it around the anchor line and clip it back to itself.

For the record, I don't think it's a good idea but thought of the suggestion to make certain the anchor line will stay attached. I hope you always have your boat.

In addition to the suggestions above, it also depends on how far offshore you are. Can you swim home? Also make sure that someone onshore can call for emergency services if you are overdue, or check-in with the harbor master.

Always be prepared to discover a new wreck, including the boat you came out on.

Back
Top Bottom