solo dive for a noob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a great idea Lynne. rev, I would still have someone in the house that can check you.

Rev440...

I just looked at your profile and now I see that you are a mere 17 years old. Please, please, please re-evaluate your desire to dive solo. Not only are you going to be a new diver, but, being a teenager, you also (most likely) haven't lived an array of "normal" real world experiences yet.... and now you want to jump in a lake by yourself?!?!

You say your mother is an experienced RN with 12 years of ER experience.... all the RN and ER experience in the world doesn't help you if she doesn't have all the life-saving equipment at hand (defibrillator, intubation equipment, oxygen with various masks, IV fluids, bandaging or splinting materials, C-spine equipment, etc., etc,). Believe me... I currently work in an ER, and I'm a Paramedic with over 10 years of street experience (ambulance time) also. Is your mother a diver? Is anyone else in your family a diver? If not, I would suggest that they also learn about the dangers of diving, and the safety measures that should be taken prior to every dive. Also, if you are solo diving, how are they going to locate and rescue you should an underwater emergency arise? I could go on and on and on.

I would like to think that a mother that is educated about the dangers of solo diving, would not allow her 17 year old son to persue it. I would like to think that she would require that any scuba diving be done with a competent adult buddy.

I think you are young and nieve (sp?) and that's not a bad thing, persay, but let it work for you and not against you. At this point, you seem to be pretty well set on doing this solo diving thing (you mention after 30-40 buddy dives). I believe that everyone on this board has your best interests in mind. Please take heed. Does your mom know you plan on solo diving?

The fact that you asked this question makes me believe that you are not ready to solo. Solo diving is nothing to take lightly. It takes many dives before you are ready to save your own butt.

Please dive safe, and with a buddy!

erparamedic My uncle was a Coast Guard diver for like 5 years in Korea and some other places. Neither of my parents dive my dads never had an intrest in it since one of his employees neices died when she passed out underwater on a group dive. By the time they found her she had drown. Ive always been intersted in dangerous things in which my mothers coworkers at the hospital think she stupid for letting me do, like have Dirtbikes and other go fast toys. I have not planned my dives because they will not happen for 10 months. Ive seen and been threw alot for a 17 year old kid with a couple friends dieing but thats about the worst thats ever happened to me if thats what you mean by real world experiance.

rev440:
After I get my cert and go diving with the local dive club would it be safe for a new diver to go solo diving? I wouldnt be going that deep probably close to 30 feet give or take a couple feet so I could make it up the the surface for air if I need it. Reason being I have a cottage and will not always have a dive buddy close.

Thanks,
Nate

This is definitely a bad idea. You need experience to do this. You haven't done enough diving yet to even know what you are comfortable with, maybe you haven't done any diving. After you are certified do 50 or so dives under the traditional buddy system and see how that goes. Scuba is a sport of baby steps, not giant leaps, and it's certainly a thinking man's activity. Think this out and move slowly.

For those who haven't figured it out yet, he's going to dive it anyway. Now age is being picked on to boot, so its guaranteed the solo diving will happen.

Rev buddy, its ultimately up to you. I won't hide that I do it. I also will admit that I dive within the limits commensurate to my training. I also have the safety gear necessary to be sufficient if needs be. Grateful Diver provides some excellent points for consideration. Whatever your choice, be safe and have fun! :)

rev440:
erparamedic My uncle was a Coast Guard diver for like 5 years in Korea and some other places. Neither of my parents dive my dads never had an intrest in it since one of his employees neices died when she passed out underwater on a group dive. By the time they found her she had drown. Ive always been intersted in dangerous things in which my mothers coworkers at the hospital think she stupid for letting me do, like have Dirtbikes and other go fast toys. I have not planned my dives because they will not happen for 10 months. Ive seen and been threw alot for a 17 year old kid with a couple friends dieing but thats about the worst thats ever happened to me if thats what you mean by real world experiance.

That's not exactly what I was speaking of... there's lots of experiences that life holds that you haven't (most likely) experienced.... not just death. I could definitely get back on my soapbox, but I won't. Don't be a stupid teenager... please be smart about this solo diving thing.

You asked for advice when you wrote this thread and you've gotten plenty. You should know by now that it's not safe. You only have one life to live, don't waste it.

rev440:

are you saying that someone died on a "group" dive... so not only was the "buddy" not paying attention, the "group" wasn't either?

EVERYONE: please get and read, "Solo Diving: The Art of Underwater Self-Sufficiency" by Robert Von Maier (ISBN 1-881652-28-9)... quote from book: "Too often I see divers at the beach who are "buddy hunting." They have been trained to adhere to the buddy system without exception, even if it means buddying-up with a complete stranger, as long as they have a buddy. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the inadequacies in this type of reasoning. Any buddy is not better than no buddy."

even if you'll never dive, "solo," the book gives a lot of things to be aware of... good info for anyone that dives, period!

the main thing is "self-sufficiency." sure, there are a lot of divers that shouldn't dive alone, but, by not taking care of oneself, putting your life in the hands of another, verbatim, is ridiculous... many of the well experienced divers in the book state that many of the times they found themselves in trouble was at the hands of another diver.

i know the opinions are going to fly from this post, but think of all the things we do alone, and sometimes carelessly: drive while tired; drive after drinking; hiking by ourselves; bathe by ourselves; leave the baby alone in the bathtub; leave the kids alone in the pool.........

--c

rev440:

Hi rev440,
now that this thread is on fire I will add this. Education and knowledge is paramount to solo diving. Weather you get it from experience, from a buddy, or from research and home study/ there are about 7 texts that are a must read IMHO. does not matter as long as you get it. Age has nothing to do with this equation, Responsibility for ones own actions is the point.
In life we start out with a bag full of luck, and no experience

The trick is to fill up the bag of experience, before your luck runs out.
P.S. You should read every post in solo diver forum
technical forum
Dir forum
accident and incidents
Other people may have some suggestions on light reading material to help on your journey.
Eric

Back
Top Bottom