solo dive for a noob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is so interesting to dive 3 times daily in the same place, and take the huge risk of diving solo? Is it worth the danger?

Further consideration - check out the solo diving forum. Read, ask questions, and really learn about the assumed risks of diving without the ever coveted buddy. The why is not the question, its the how its done and what is needed to be done to replace the other set of eyes that watches over you.

erparamedic:
What is so interesting to dive 3 times daily in the same place, and take the huge risk of diving solo? Is it worth the danger?

For the right divers, solo is not a "huge risk".

erparamedic:

If everyone was scared there wouldnt be scuba diving in the first place. The lakes about 1.33 miles long on a gps so theres quite alot of water to explore there. Im also there every weekend so ive snorkled there many many times and it just doesnt get old. I geuss everytime I go I find something cooler then I did last time.

Definately a bad...very bad idea. I would suggest evaluating the situation responsibly - not merely for yourself but on behalf of your non-diving family.

rev440:
Well I was never confident to begin with its just I would be diving possibly 3 times a day solo and now it would be like once a month when me and my buddy scedules work out. I mean im in a public lake and would only dive early in the morning or late at night and also dive at a 30 foot deep pond by my house. So I was trying to dive as much as possable.

Thanks,
Nate
Nate, I think what folks are trying to explain is that the decision to dive solo shouldn't be based on how often you want to dive. There are some basic safety considerations you need to be aware of ... and almost all newer divers simply aren't prepared to consider them, due to their inexperience.

First off, consider just the psychological implications. Humans aren't built to be underwater. The "fight or flight" instinct that keeps us alive in crisis situations isn't hard-wired to handle underwater situations ... so in an emergency, the instinct to panic and bolt could easily kill you.

The good news is that we're also adaptable ... with proper training and experience, we can teach ourselves to overcome our instictive responses and remain calm in situations that might otherwise lead to panic. If you are to solo dive safely, that's what you must do. For most of us, that means logging enough bottom time to gain the confidence needed to handle almost any stressful situation that can happen to you underwater. There are no "hard" numbers ... like "log X number of dives" ... because we're all individuals. The rule of thumb, however, is that you should have complete confidence (and be honest with yourself about it) that you could remain calm while working through a stressful situation.

Then there's the equipment issue ... you are betting your life on your gear. Are you familiar enough with it to be able to go to "Plan B" if something fails? Will you be taking a redundant air source down with you? After all ... none of us can breathe water. Are your skills up to being able to remove, repair, and replace gear underwater if you have to? You might have to ... you know. After all, you won't have someone down there to help you reach your tank valve ... or figure out where that gas leak is coming from ... or help you disentangle a fishing line that's somehow managed to catch itself under the cam buckle on your tank strap. Can you do it yourself? If you're solo, you'll HAVE to.

Only you can answer the question you've asked ... and the rule of thumb is that if you have any doubts, you aren't ready to go solo. Those doubts can creep into your mind and induce an irrational response at a time when you can least afford it.

I won't tell you yes or no ... but I would like you to consider what I've said when deciding for yourself whether or not it's the right thing to do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No one but you can decide what is safe. Get your cert. and do a couple more dives then make the decision. You can't make that decision right now because you don't know what it is like to be under water. You will have a clearer vision of your diving ability and be able to judge better. My only advice would be to NEVER OUTDIVE YOUR ABILITIES!!!!! That's just bad news.

rev440:
After I get my cert and go diving with the local dive club would it be safe for a new diver to go solo diving? I wouldnt be going that deep probably close to 30 feet give or take a couple feet so I could make it up the the surface for air if I need it. Reason being I have a cottage and will not always have a dive buddy close.

Thanks,
Nate

Nate, I was afraid to open this thread for the flames that might shoot out from others. It is recommended you do not dive solo, highly. You'll have more fun if you take the trouble to find a dive partner, lots of people here dive, you can meet someone:) Things just happen. Good luck.

Just because your regular buddy isn't available doesn't mean there aren't other people available to dive. There are divers on here from all over Ohio, posting in the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew section and asking for a buddy may result in some lasting friendships. I've met a lot of great people that way not only from Ohio but from all over.

What lake are you going to be diving in?

A quick note about ponds. Generally they are going to have poor to zero visibility and lots of weeds in the shallow areas.
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom