solo dive for a noob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good and bad news My friend from church and school is going to get certed with me so I will have a diving buddy for most dives. But he is also a new driver is that safe to have another new diver as your diving buddy?

rev440:
Good and bad news My friend from church and school is going to get certed with me so I will have a diving buddy for most dives. But he is also a new driver is that safe to have another new diver as your diving buddy?
That's a million times better rev, you guys will have fun, I told you you'd find one. Keep an eye on each other.

But he is also a new driver is that safe to have another new diver as your diving buddy?

In theory, when you are signed off as a certified diver, you are signed off as competent to plan and execute dives to the level of your training. So, in theory, it's fine for two new divers to dive together. And in practice, it generally works okay if you are aware of your limitations and keep your dives simple. You both need to be aware that, at the beginning, neither of you will be of much use if things go sour, so you want to plan dives that have a vanishingly small likelihood of requiring that anybody function under significant stress. Keep your depths shallow, your diving conditions benign, and your navigation simple, and go have fun.

TSandM:
In theory, when you are signed off as a certified diver, you are signed off as competent to plan and execute dives to the level of your training. So, in theory, it's fine for two new divers to dive together. And in practice, it generally works okay if you are aware of your limitations and keep your dives simple. You both need to be aware that, at the beginning, neither of you will be of much use if things go sour, so you want to plan dives that have a vanishingly small likelihood of requiring that anybody function under significant stress. Keep your depths shallow, your diving conditions benign, and your navigation simple, and go have fun.

Well our first couple dives will be with aqua hut the place we get certed in a cory So it will be more of a group dive with more expiranced divers so that will be good if we have trouble.

rev440:
After I get my cert and go diving with the local dive club would it be safe for a new diver to go solo diving? I wouldnt be going that deep probably close to 30 feet give or take a couple feet so I could make it up the the surface for air if I need it. Reason being I have a cottage and will not always have a dive buddy close.

Thanks,
Nate

Check out the solo certification requirements below and buy the solo book that was recommend to you. Yes, we sometimes bend the rules, but it your case it seems you wish to bent them all. I would suggest getting some more experience as most of the others replies suggested. Also get a redundant air source and practice using it until it is second nature. Also when soloing have duplicate or triplicate backups such as 3 cutting tools.

Good Luck.

Solo Scuba Certification

INTRODUCTION
The objective of this course is to train divers in the benefits, hazards and proper procedures for diving solo. Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in solo diving activities.
STUDENT PREREQUISITES
A. Minimum age: 21 years.
B. Minimum certification of Advanced Diver or equivalent.
C. Minimum of 100 logged dives.
D. Review and complete Medical History form and Liability Release form.
E. Review and complete Solo Diver Release form.
EXECUTION AND STRUCTURE
A. Open water execution:
1. Two open water dives are required with complete briefs and debriefs;
2. All dives must include surface interval, max. no-deco time, etc., to be figured out and logged during the debriefing.
B. Course structure: SDI allows instructors to structure courses according to the number of students participating and
their skill level.
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
A. Basic SDI open water scuba equipment (exception: "safe second" or "octopus" is not allowed as redundant air
source).
B. One of the following must be used as a redundant air source: pony bottle, twin cylinders with isolation valve,
independent doubles, Spare Air(TM).
REQUIRED SKILL PERFORMANCE
Skills are to be performed in the open water. In order to complete this course, the student must demonstrate
understanding of the techniques to properly execute a solo dive.
A. Swimming skills: Perform a surface swim of 200 meters in full scuba gear (gear configuration appropriate to local
diving conditions). Must be nonstop and performed in an open water environment.
B. Scuba skills:
1. Demonstrate adequate predive planning;
2. Determine limits based on personal gas consumption;
3. Perform exact dive and/or decompression profile.
C. Properly execute the planned dive within all predetermined limits:
1. Equipment configuration appropriate for solo diving:
a. streamlining equipment;
b. use and carry of redundant air supply.
2. Proper descent/ascent rates.
3. Proper safety stop procedures: monitoring of decompression status equipment (tables, computers, equipment).
D. Navigation skills:
1. Demonstrate proficiency of navigation with compass;
2. Demonstrate emergency change-over to a backup regulator or bailout scuba at a depth not exceeding 100 fsw /
30 msw;
3. Deploy surface marker and use of surface audible signaling device.
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
In order to complete this course, students must:
A. Satisfactorily complete the Solo Course written examination.
B. Complete all open water requirements safely and efficiently.
C. Demonstrate mature, sound judgement concerning dive planning and execution.
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates will be issued the SDI Solo Diver Specialty certification card.

CBulla:
Don't forget to read some of Sheck Exley's books... I'm a little partial to Caverns Measureless to Man. Some excellent read about the early exploration under rocks and the self reliance that was needed -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0939748207/103-9592285-0647035?v=glance&n=283155

I just went and looked at that book, is it really $125? YIKES, does it come with a Pony bottle? Shecks stuff is good but man thats crazy for a book.

Back
Top Bottom