Solo diving..... Again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for all your solid advice.

I do believe that I have been trained and am equipped mentally and physically to deal with any emergencies I am encounter (apart from lack of pony which is a priority for me).

I have not been in a real diving emergency yet (hopefully I won't have to) but I do train for such an occasion and although I've never had the experience to see how I react I believe my training as a diver and as a member of the Defence Force here in Australia has given me the appropriate mindset to handle such an occasion.

Guaranteed, 70 logged dives (5 solo) is still not anywhere near enough experience but I am very gear familiar (BP/W setup from day 1) and this combined with my training to date I believe will get me out of the s**t should I ever be in it.

Solo diving course is on the calendar and I am really looking forward to expand my way of thinking, processes employed to deal with emergencies and a better mindset of what solo diving really encompasses.

Cheers everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So basically:
1. What are the learning outcomes of self-reliant diver/solo diver courses?

Don't know, never took one.

2. What skills do you consider essential for solo diving?

The ability to think through problems and find solutions without panicking.

3. Is specialized training and gear really required for solo diving (In your opinion).

In my opinion, training is not required but probably can't make you a worse solo diver, the right mindset is required, and gear maybe. If the dive is shallow enough without any overhead or restrictions I probably wouldn't carry redundant air. Anything past 30' I'd probably carry redundant air--just my personal feeling of wellbeing.

About to invest in a 40cuft pony and the relevant training required.
So, am I being dumb?

Not in buying the AL40. As far as training, if you haven't properly prepared yourself mentally and through research training is probably a good idea. If your instructor is good then you'll probably have some takeaways that will be valuable. It's not dumb to seek out training, but don't think it's the end of the line either. Training is just the starting point.

I do believe that I have been trained and am equipped mentally and physically to deal with any emergencies I am encounter (apart from lack of pony which is a priority for me).

A major point of training/assessment is to confirm or deny the accuracy of those beliefs, through expert external validation.

Many people share the same belief in their competency. Some get an eye-opener in training (especially when first stepping up to solo and/or technical levels). Others find reassurance in their performance.

Attitude is definitely the key to safer solo diving. The only students who ever failed one of my solo classes failed based upon attitude. Either they were unsafe or they were quitters. You can't call, "Time out!" and give up in the event of a problem. You also need to have an attitude that will keep you out of trouble. In my experience both of these traits are innate. They aren't taught. People are born with them. Solo diver training should weed out those who will give up or dive irresponsibly. The sad thing is that OW training used to weed out these people at one time.

Like Andy Davis mentioned, a good instructor will help you assess your strengths and weaknesses through expert external validation and do so SAFELY. Time in class is needed to improve areas of weakness. In my classes, I start with a demonstration of trim control, buoyancy control, anti-silt/anti-damage propulsion, and basic scuba skills including removing and replacing scuba hovering off bottom, hovering in blue water with no references to simulate needing to remove kit if hopelessly entangled during ascent or during deco or safety stop, and at the surface. The student repeats these skills until they meet standards. Then, we move into failures and multiple failures which start gently and become more intense until the student reaches a breaking point. This allows us to define that diver's parameters of tolerance. Lastly ... that's a secret. But, they learn to imagine my ghost hovering somewhere nearby ready to pounce if they do anything stupid.

The pros to solo diving are the removal of peer pressure and allowing you to judge your comfort and readiness moment to moment and the ability to make quick decisions communicating only with yourself. The cons are that you have less help, less equipment, and less brains to make decisions.

In my personal opinion, solo diving places you at a higher risk than team diving if the team is unified, standardized, well-drilled and skilled. If, however, you've just been buddied up with a stranger you are at much greater risk than if properly trained and prepared for solo diving. Some activities are a little more dangerous when solo diving such as tech and cave diving - assuming you could dive with an excellent team. Solo freediving and solo rebreather diving are much more risky.

Attitude is definitely the key to safer solo diving. The only students who ever failed one of my solo classes failed based upon attitude. Either they were unsafe or they were quitters. You can't call, "Time out!" and give up in the event of a problem. You also need to have an attitude that will keep you out of trouble. In my experience both of these traits are innate. They aren't taught. People are born with them. Solo diver training should weed out those who will give up or dive irresponsibly. The sad thing is that OW training used to weed out these people at one time.

Like Andy Davis mentioned, a good instructor will help you assess your strengths and weaknesses through expert external validation and do so SAFELY. Time in class is needed to improve areas of weakness. In my classes, I start with a demonstration of trim control, buoyancy control, anti-silt/anti-damage propulsion, and basic scuba skills including removing and replacing scuba hovering off bottom, hovering in blue water with no references to simulate needing to remove kit if hopelessly entangled during ascent or during deco or safety stop, and at the surface. The student repeats these skills until they meet standards. Then, we move into failures and multiple failures which start gently and become more intense until the student reaches a breaking point. This allows us to define that diver's parameters of tolerance. Lastly ... that's a secret. But, they learn to imagine my ghost hovering somewhere nearby ready to pounce if they do anything stupid.

The pros to solo diving are the removal of peer pressure and allowing you to judge your comfort and readiness moment to moment and the ability to make quick decisions communicating only with yourself. The cons are that you have less help, less equipment, and less brains to make decisions.

In my personal opinion, solo diving places you at a higher risk than team diving if the team is unified, standardized, well-drilled and skilled. If, however, you've just been buddied up with a stranger you are at much greater risk than if properly trained and prepared for solo diving. Some activities are a little more dangerous when solo diving such as tech and cave diving - assuming you could dive with an excellent team. Solo freediving and solo rebreather diving are much more risky.

Awww man I was hanging in your every word in regards to the training you provide then BAMM!! Cliff hanger!.... No fair......

Thanks for that anyway it was quite insightful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL! Yeah, "brutal" has been used to describe the last dive of the class. But, it's not what you may think. It's like tai chi - soft, but deadly. I should mention that I also throw in some good old-fashioned tank valve breathing and other forgotten skills at the very end of the course for fun.

A major point of training/assessment is to confirm or deny the accuracy of those beliefs, through expert external validation.

Many people share the same belief in their competency. Some get an eye-opener in training (especially when first stepping up to solo and/or technical levels). Others find reassurance in their performance.

This may be the best reason of all to take a solo course!

Took the SDI solo after over 200 dives and PADI DM. I found the course worthwhile and I made some adjustments in both equipment and attitude because of it. I often instabuddy so I need to be a good buddy with a solo mindset frequently on short notice.

Some of my solo diving scares the piss out of me, and I have thumbed my own dives countless numbers of times.

Sounds like you don't do very much evaluation and dive planning.

... which gives me confidence to venture forth by myself, especially when it's at night, the weather is bad, and the visibility is very poor.

OH, that's why!

I don't believe that either agency has a solo class.

PADI has "Self Reliant Diver" or something similar but you don't get a card that says "solo".

As far as I know, SSI doesn't have any sort of solo class at all.

The only one I'm aware of is SDI.

My error, I meant SDI

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom