Solo diving..... Again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like solo diving and am a big fan of the SDI Solo diver course. Lots has been said about skills, equipment and mindset; I agree. One thing to remember is that the skills for Solo are good skills for ANY diving. You can (and should) work on and sharpen those skills without diving solo. I also find that solo does not always mean alone. I'll run out on one of the local dive ops without a buddy. There may be 20 divers in the water but I'm solo. So I dive with those skills, equipment and mindset. It makes me a safer, more confident and more responsible diver.

There may be 20 divers in the water but I'm solo. So I dive with those skills, equipment and mindset. It makes me a safer, more confident and more responsible diver.

"Solo" was the best class I've ever taken.

Nothing shines a light on the edge of your own "safe zone" like being pushed to the end of it.

Instead of expanding my diving, the solo class actually made me rethink some dives I had been doing, that I now no longer do. There are way more dives in the world than I could do in a dozen l lifetimes, so it's no loss that I've given up some of the more risky dives, with or without a buddy (like a hot drop on to a small, hard to hit wreck right next to a busy shipping channel)

flots

Sounds like you don't do very much evaluation and dive planning.

Actually, when you're exploring new terrain it's difficult to anticipate everything that you might find, since you've never been there.

And when I'm solo at 120 feet in total darkness with 6 inches of visibility, I get spooked even if everything is going smoothly.

And when I'm solo at 120 feet in total darkness with 6 inches of visibility, I get spooked even if everything is going smoothly.

Maybe when things start getting scary, you should change the dive a little . . .

Just saying . . . .

The little voice in my head that says "Something is wrong" is usually right.

Maybe when things start getting scary, you should change the dive a little . . .

Just saying . . . .

The little voice in my head that says "Something is wrong" is usually right.

That's why I "thumb" my solo dives a lot...... Some days my balls are bigger than on other days.

Well, I'm a mindset kind of guy on solo since that is how I started, well before I ever certified with an agency. You are taking your life in your hands and are responsible for the outcome of your dive. IF things "aren't right" get to the surface and sort it out immediately, you have no one else to help you. How do you feel diving alone? If events started going sideways, would you look at it a calamity or as an annoyance? Have you had a real "come to Jesus moment", how did you react?

I don't encourage anyone to go solo if I don't know them, but would point out that you are ultimately on your own when diving solo and if you are not up to it mentally and physically, regardless of gear, find a good buddy. All the redundant gear that is the mark of the new solo diver is of no use once you panic.

Also check out the Solo board.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
The most important thing to plan when solo diving is to make sure that you are not diving with an idiot. Dsix36

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2014 at 05:11 PM ----------

Actually, when you're exploring new terrain it's difficult to anticipate everything that you might find, since you've never been there.

If you didn't you would be crazier than I. If I'm not spooked, I know I'm too narked to be there.

Bob
---------------------------------
I think that advocating unsafe and dangerous practices is both stupid and foolish. That is why I don't tell people to do what I do. Dsix36

"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom