Solo diving...is this a good reason?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emttim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'm sure I'm going to open a can of worms, however, I'm just curious what other people's perspectives will be on this. Without going too much into detail, I have an opportunity to meet my parents in Monterey for July 4th & 5th and the hotel room is free because they got one with 2 double beds. Obviously, I'm not sleeping in the same bed as my dive buddy and it'd be rude to invite along someone else anyway since as it is my 'rents are doing me a favor by giving me the chance to have a hotel room in Monterey for free.

That being said, going to Monterey without diving just seems blasphemous to me. So I'm contemplating doing a couple solo dives during the day providing that the conditions are good at Lover's Point. The reason behind that specific dive site is I've dove it more than any other site, I know the bottom contour and general dive site area underwater quite well, and I know that it's a very benign site for the following reasons: 1) The depth doesn't exceed 30 feet unless you swim out really frickin' far and I'm too lazy to do that even with a dive buddy, 2) There is a breakpoint that shields the dive site from the open ocean (for those of you who have dove it, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about) and 3) there are not really any hazards such as heavy kelp, sharks, strong currents, etc. at that site.

As far as I'm concerned, especially considering I have a HP steel 100 so I have a tank with lots and lots of air, I see no harm in solo diving at this dive site during the day with good conditions since it's a shallow depth, the only real dangers to speak of is a long surface swim due to poor navigation (which I can avoid by not going out too far anyway) and getting tangled in what kelp is on the bottom, the latter of which I can avoid by not being a retard and I have EMT shears anyway which will cut through pretty much anything. What I'm curious of though is what your guys' opinion is on this. ....it's not that I doubt myself and need reassurance but instead I'd like a frank assessment of my plan.

I would think that would be one of the easiest locations to find a SB buddy to dive with.

If you're confident enough to do it it sounds reasonably safe. The 30' is key, as I imagine you won't be diving with a redundant air supply - you can easily do an emergency ascent. I would carry an SMB and signaling devices (whistle, mirror) in case it goes pear shaped and there turns out to be an outgoing current. Make sure responsible and knowledgeable people know what you're doing and when, and arrange to check in with them just before you go in and immediately you come out (phone). Ideally have someone on shore looking out for you. Make sure these people know what will constitute "overdue" and what to do about it.

Plan your dive and then make sure to dive the plan. It's very tempting to stray "just that bit further" or "just that bit deeper".

But otherwise enjoy it! I've done lots of solo dives like this, day and night, and handled sensibly they are a lot of fun.

Your life-your decision. My first solo dive was Makena landing in Maui. I justified it the same way you did- I had experience at the site, max depth about 30 feet, had snorkeled the area. What I didn't coiunt on was the 12 foot tiger shark! Would I do it again? Yes!

I may still be a noob, but the only way I have done any solo-diving has been in limited depth water (11ft max) and there was a group of us soloing, due to current (freshwater river diving)...but that's the extent of what I would do...to be on the safe side!

Your life-your decision. My first solo dive was Makena landing in Maui. I justified it the same way you did- I had experience at the site, max depth about 30 feet, had snorkeled the area. What I didn't coiunt on was the 12 foot tiger shark! Would I do it again? Yes!
Of course--cool.

If you feel comfortable go for it. Only recommendation I would make is add a redundant air source and a second cutting instrument to your gear.

30ft. and the conditions you describe,I would do it.

Yes, it would be cool to read about it in the accident thread... Diver dropped both his EMT shears.... tangled up in kelp and fish lines.... Had only X number of dives.... RIP... Ha, ha, ha.... Just kidding.

Now, seriously, you should consider buying a Spare Air for redundancy. The small size makes it less likely to get tangled up in the kelp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom