solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do a lot of photography. Had I not been solo diving, the enclosed photograph of a starry flounder in the Clackamas River, near it's mouth to the Willamette River, could not have been taken. I had a devil of a time without a buddy getting close enough to actually photograph this fish. With a buddy, I could not have done it.

SeaRat

Neil,

I so have to tell you that shared some of the same thoughts and feelings when solo diving. I found it adventuresome, while I enjoyed the dive, I did get that creepy feeling. My mind played through a few disasterous scenarios which creeped me out even more. I don't enjoy solo diving nearly as much as with my preferred dive partner. At that time, my partner was pregnant with our daughter, and I was diving with a wreckless wonder what made solo diving far more appealing that diving with my substitute dive partner. I can't say that I won't condone it, I think it has it's place, but I would not suggest anyone do it either, to make that suggestion and have somone act on it, should disaster fall, I'd feel quite responcible and I am not up for accepting that kind of mess. I do know divers that enjoy solo diving often, it's a now and then thing for me, when I'd rather dive anyway than miss out because my partner can't make the dive for whatever reason.

-Dennis
So. Cal.

neil once bubbled...
I admit it, I've dived solo a few times. The feeling I get from it is a strange mixture of adventurousness (is that a word?) and creepiness that I find just compelling enough to do once in a while. There's something magical about being alone, floating through the kelp, playing hide 'n seek with a harbor seal. But of course I would never condone it or suggest that ANYONE dive solo. :)
Neil

I've got to say I've been out solo ( in a quarry 20-25ft, and lake erie from shore...never got past 16ft) I'm a bit nervous about doing anything too daring, but my regular dive buddy is an IDIOT, and if I was in trouble, I'd probably be better off alone (hell we probably wouldn't notice anything was wrong! If I don't keep an eye on him, he will lose me real fast)

deyv

GQ why dont you just face it you are a sissy------ Do you want me to teach you the solo class? I can do that... Just Kidding--- See you next weekend--Sissy

Have to agree with the others diving with an experienced buddy is always the best option. Like some 70% of the diving I do is solo. I do not recommend it for anyone with less than 200 dives. As far as certification goes I can’t see the purpose, no more than I can see the purpose for “drysuit certification”. But the rules I follow are much the same as others have listed.

1. Have redundant systems (ponies +30lbs IMHO make a viable backup for most rec, -70ft, within the tables dives)
2. Only on air
3. Only in areas I know well
4. Never in overhead situations
5. Be willing to abort the dive at any point, for anything out of the normal

Like all diving if something makes you uncomfortable than you should not do it! Time and again we hear about someone on a guided dive that was uncomfortable with the dive profile, doesn’t say anything and something bad happens. I dive solo because I find it relaxing to only have to worry about me and when I have the camera in hand I make a lousy buddy.

This thread was started a year ago. I wonder if he/she got an answer to his/her question yet?

Diving solo is mostly a problem of not having a regular dive buddy yet, or several. Once you find a good buddy, or several, you will most likely abandon solo diving, because it is lonely and boring to dive solo. Diving is more fun with a buddy. And more safe as well.

Same is true of hiking, camping, climbing, etc. Those are all activities that lend themselves to having a buddy along.

lonely nor boring...

The solitude and sense of self-reliance it imparts can be quite satisfying.

This question keeps coming up and the debate never changes except with time.

The longer human’s dive the more controversial this question gets.

If you compare modern dive gear to the early Scuba years you will see that the gear doesn’t even seem related.

In the early years gear failures were almost common. Today gear failures are, for the most part, rare.

Most of the deaths that I have been around or know about are not from a gear failure but some kind of failure involving the diver. Stuff like getting into situations that the diver was not ready for. Sure the diver was trained for this or that, but was that diver ready for it in the real world outside of training.

A diver with redundant this and that is no safer than a diver with just a single everything if that redundant diver has to think out every situation before taking action. The diver, either in a redundant or in a single configuration, should be so aware of their gear that if something happens, that diver automatically reacts.

I know some of you are going to think that is BS but stop and think about it. All the cards in the world mean nothing if the person holding them has more cash than brains.

You learn how to drive a car, which is a complicated operation at first. As time goes on and your comfort level raises and you do things automatically. If, we as humans, didn’t improve our driving skills people would be crashing at rates 10 times?, 100 times?, 1000 times the rates they do now.

The Model T was a basic piece of driving equipment. It was slow, had poor reliability, poor steering and poor brakes. It was also a roll of the dice to see if the car would make it from point A to point B. The early diving regulators were a basic piece of diving equipment. They were slow to react, had poor reliability, were unbalanced and were a poor design by today’s standards. They were about as reliable as the old Model T as far as getting from point A to B.

Some of these posts have said experience means nothing. Why should it mean nothing for diving when it means a lot everywhere else? Not many rookies win at Stock Car or other kinds of motor racing. It takes a lot of experience just to get into the races to compete. Why should Scuba diving be any different?

For those that think experience means nothing, why would you trust your training to an instructor. Wouldn’t it make the same sense to have just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express instead? The last I heard MOST instructors had some experience.

Some have said NO NITROX on a solo dive. Unless you’re an alien we all breathe NITROX on every dive. It’s the mix not the gas we are talking about.

Others talk about when you or your buddy get separated it’s now a solo dive. No it isn’t. It’s a dive where buddies are not planning a dive and diving that plan. SO, when separated divers have something-go wrong it isn’t a dead or injured solo diver. It was an accident or death where the buddies got separated.

Bottom line is that your gear is not what is going to keep you alive in Scuba Diving. It is the person behind it. That person does need to be trained and have enough common sense to use whatever properly and stay calm in any given situation.

After all, if we had to think about applying the brakes every time a child ran in front of a car there would be no survivors. Why should diving be any different?

I'm not harping on anyone. I'm just trying to get people to think a little more about what they are doing and how they do it.

Gary D. :wink:

I thought I'd give my 2 cents worth.... I could not trust myself to dive alone. I am afraid I would panic at the wrong time and end up becoming another statistic. Even if I DID do a "solo class", I would not have enough self-confidence to do it alone. This is my opinion and if you don't like it, that's ok. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom