solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacklatexozdiver:
I thought I'd give my 2 cents worth.... I could not trust myself to dive alone. I am afraid I would panic at the wrong time and end up becoming another statistic. Even if I DID do a "solo class", I would not have enough self-confidence to do it alone. This is my opinion and if you don't like it, that's ok. :)
blacklatexozdiver

You’re the kind of diver that makes me very proud to be associated with. You know your ability and it sounds like you will dive within those boundaries. If more people did that in everyday life, not just diving, we would be much better off.

Would you feel better with two of everything? :06:

Gary D.

mjh:
Have to agree with the others diving with an experienced buddy is always the best option. Like some 70% of the diving I do is solo. I do not recommend it for anyone with less than 200 dives.

I agree with you an expereinced buddy is the best option. But on the other hand a poor buddy is arguably the worst option. In 1600 dives all my close calls have been buddy induced.

I often dive with inexperienced divers as someone has to shepard them along until they get experience but I do it with the realization that I am in fact solo diving as they are not going to be there, or often even be aware, if I have a problem.

I also have fairly broad limits for solo diving. I do solo deco dives as deep as 150 ft but with properly configured doubles, rule of thirds gas planning and redundant gas for deco, a lift bag for redundant bouyancy and for a emergency ascent line, progressive experience from 1600 plus dives, and recent experience with over 100 dives per year. I also know my equipment inside and out and it is excellently maintained.

I also stick to familiar areas when solo diving and will turn the dive at the first sign that conditions are not ideal and as expected, the dive is not going as planned, or I do not feel on top of my game.

The specific limits are not what is important. Realistically and continually evaluating the conditions, your ability, your equipment, your configuration, knowing your limits and staying comfortably within them are what is important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom