Some nice big North Carolina Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florabama:
That's fantastic -- what's the depth you're finding these guys?
Finding these guys at depths of 100ft and greater.

archman:
I've heard that once spiny lobsters get as big as these, they don't taste nearly as good. Any truth to that?
I usually cut them up to use in sauces of fry small lobster nuggets. The best way was using the fried nuggets in tacos, sound strange but they were good. From what I have heard it is more of a cooking issue with the large guys, the outside gets rubbery before the inside gets cooked with big tails.

Pat

flounderer:
Finding these guys at depths of 100ft and greater.

How much greater than 100 ft? Just wondering since around here, we find them in much deeper water -- as deep as most people are willing to dive to find them. Out of Pensacola Pass, our live bottom spots range from 95 fsw to 175 fsw, and that's where you have to go to find them. There are some deeper spots, but nobody dives them as far as I know. Just wondering how deep you were going to find them, and what you were doing equipment wise to handle the depth.

Florabama:
How much greater than 100 ft? Just wondering since around here, we find them in much deeper water -- as deep as most people are willing to dive to find them. Out of Pensacola Pass, our live bottom spots range from 95 fsw to 175 fsw, and that's where you have to go to find them. There are some deeper spots, but nobody dives them as far as I know. Just wondering how deep you were going to find them, and what you were doing equipment wise to handle the depth.

Out of Wilmington NC the big guys are found from 100-140ft and the water does not get much deeper until you go 50+ miles out so no one really goes deeper. In the 120-140ft range (40-45 miles offshore) there is a lot of live bottom that holds a lot of lobster so there is no reason to go too much deeper.

Pat

archman:
I've heard that once spiny lobsters get as big as these, they don't taste nearly as good. Any truth to that?

There may be a point where this applies, I've only had the opportunity to taste them up to about 10 pounds and they are just as good as a barely legal.

The big ones are actually better when it comes to design with a full meal. The tale can be used for the main dish, and all the little bits and pieces from the legs and head are perfect for either a soup/bisque, salad, croquetes, or a million other apetizers.

I think what you are saying about size/age also applies after certain point to grouper and other fish.

flounderer:
I'd thought I'd share some of the lobsters we catch off the coast here. The big guys are found about 35 miles out and farther so it is a long haul but well worth it. We don't use snares or tickle sticks we go mono a' mono with these guys.

Just make us jealous, I have yet to see on that big never mind grab it.

archman:

They don't, so if you get any you can just give them to me and I will dispose of the nasty buggers for you! :D

TropicalDiver:
What's some good spearing/bugging charters out of NC? Any suggestions?

I can tell you the boat I work on and get the bugs off of, Aquatic Safaris out of Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach NC. We hit a lot of offshore ledge that hold the lobster, another good site is the Frying Pan tower area, not right on the tower but a few miles around it is nice. The best time to go for lobster is around April and May, people load up on them early in the season. Check out my buddies site www.wilmingtonspearfishing.com to see some of our spoils.

Pat

Not to spoil your fun, they must be great eating! But don't your lobsters have claws? :crafty: (one on one, huh? He he!)

UW-hunting is, by the way, a reserved term for those who dive without tanks, over here. For the rest of us it's just "gathering food" :D Which I gladly do every time I can. Our lobsters have huge claws and fight back, except they are not legal to catch... :death2:

KOMPRESSOR:
Not to spoil your fun, they must be great eating! But don't your lobsters have claws? :crafty: (one on one, huh? He he!)

UW-hunting is, by the way, a reserved term for those who dive without tanks, over here. For the rest of us it's just "gathering food" :D Which I gladly do every time I can. Our lobsters have huge claws and fight back, except they are not legal to catch... :death2:

I'll gladly trade the claws for warm clear water, you can keep those crayfish you have over there :) I haven't seen a picture of a clawed lobster doing this... http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=106370. Although I'm sure the claws can do much worse.

Take care,
Pat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom