Someone has been feeding this nurse shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Dave,

I dunno. She swears overnight a ton of groupers disappeared. She said her memory is pretty good as she was a 12 year old DM in the early 90s. You must have been what? 50? (well maybe SHE didn't say that last bit.... :rofl3:)

She said she will convene a meeting of the old timers club and see how they remember it.

:)

I guess I'd like to consider myself a member of "the old timers club".

I began diving CZM in the mid 80's. In my humble opinion, what we are seeing with events such as the nurse shark in the original post, is a repeat of the behavior modification caused by taking cans of squirt cheese and rolls from the breakfast buffet on dives.

Prior to a more conscientious approach to compliance with the rules of the Marine Park, when we dived certain sites, the fish expected to be fed. I remember going down, after having not dived the island for about six months, and being admonished by the dive guide for bringing along the offering I had pilfered at breakfast.

My how times change. It appears that lionfish are now the squirt cheese, and we have successfully altered behavior again.

I don't eat grouper either, for both Dave's reason and Greg's reason. Almost makes me ill if I hear someone else order it and Lord help anyone who orders it at my table . . .especially so if the one ordering is a diver. Shameful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom