Sonoma County Abalone diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which long-range forecast service are you using?

Swellwatch: SwellWatch 3D - Surf Report and Forecast
NOAA: National Weather Service
Wed N winds 10 to 20 kt. Waves NW 11 ft at 11 seconds.
Thu N winds 15 to 25 kt. Waves NW 12 ft at 10 seconds.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2014 at 07:49 PM ----------

If I were you I'd drive south a few miles and go to Russian Gulch State Park. Pay the day fee and you can park right at the beach under the bridge.
There's decent abs to be found along the right side against the rocks in 10 to 20 feet of water. You may have to get through the false bottom to see them, be careful! and don't take any chances.
It's a little bit of a surface kick, maybe 10 minutes but not that bad.
That's going to be about your best option since RG is fairly well protected.
It's also one of our favorite spots, and we're locals.

Noyo inlet and cove isn't going to give you very good opportunities. It's a busy area with lots of commercial boat traffic and it's fairly exposed. I've dove out on the left side outside of the seawall and it was OK but I think Russian Gulch is better.

Thank you for your input Eric. I really appreciate it.

---------- Post added June 1st, 2014 at 06:57 AM ----------

You may have to get through the false bottom to see them, be careful! and don't take any chances.
It's a little bit of a surface kick, maybe 10 minutes but not that bad.
Don't take any chances though. If it looks too big stay out. We want you to live!
Don't become another Sacramento syndrome victim, please?

Is the false bottom a layer of kelp on top of the rocks?

I don't want to be any part of the victim's list. That is precisely why I asked for a local's opinion. I don't want you to see me on the news.
Thanks again.

The first day was a bust for us. We looked for a couple of hours, but we never saw any abs. The next day was much better. We met a couple of guys who told us to go further out and away from the right shoreline. We both ended up with a limit.
y2y4ezan.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom