Sorry LDS but I want to Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pmcsurf

Reaction score
I've not made a dive yet and don't even take my class untill Aug 2002. I wanted to buy equipment for my class that way I could be trained with the stuff I'd use later and not have to learn new tricks. If I have a problem with my gear I'd like it to happen in a pool with an instructor.
Now to my point.
I looked at a Scubapro MK25/S600 at my local shop and couldn't believe the sticker... $675.00. No BCD, no gauges, no back-up reg no nothing. I'm sorry but I live in Florida, love the water, love to fish, and own my own boat... I'm sure I'm going to love scuba but if i had to wait to come up with the money (used equipment is not around this time of year) I'd probablly not be able to learn this year and I'm not sure about next year.
Bought Dacor BCD, MK25/S600, R190 octa, and two dial gauge, plus shipping from (Hold your ears) Leisure Pro for only $800.00 total.
I feel bad for my LDS and I wish I had the money to buy everything from him but it would have been close to $1600.
I'd rather dive now and pay later I guess.

Paul
PS. I am taking the class from my LDS ($350)... that's something right?

Where else would you take the class, leisure pro? I don't believe that your LDS, or any others, make much money off of the classes, they make it off the gear. I can understand your issues with the price, and I buy some stuff online myself because it is alot cheaper, but for the really important stuff, it makes alot of sense to get it from your lds, for example your reg. is not covered under ScubaPro's warranty, and your LDS has strict instructions not to service it for you, bummer huh.

Would you appologize to you local Ford dealer if the dealer down the road beat his price by $800.00.

And just to clear things up about servicing, I believe your LDS has "strict instructions" not to provide warranty service - that is the "free" parts you would get for the extra $300.00.

LDSs that refuse service or provide substandard service because they didn't sell the equipment are just turning away income. Normally that is not the route to a successful business.

By the way, if you take good care of that new regulator - keep the ocean out of the first stage, rinse it between dives, and soak it under pressure after the trip: you should be thinking in terms of 2 - 5 years life from those parts that are recommended for annual replacement. That saves on not only parts costs but also the service charge you would get to pay even with the mfgr warranty.

............. Just pick which 3-4 weeks each year that you don't want to dive, Then send your reg back to Leisure Pro for service. :wink:

(It may not take that long)

I do purchase equipment from Leisure Pro.
My regs got purchased from my LDS.
When I tell them what I can buy for on-line, they usually give me a better discount.
From what I've been told, that won't happen in a ScubaPro shop.

Hi

good to buy everything online. You would be crazy to buy these things for 800us dollars more!!! My god that is expensive!!! DAMN. Dont worry about servicing MK25. First of all servicing SP MK25 is like drinking cool, nice and clear water:D And second there are alot of shops that DO want to service your reg. anyway! Also there was a good point maken a little bit earlier: pick a moment in the year when you dont dive that often and send all the stuff back but this is REAllY not nec. because there are other stores that do want to sevice. Just shop around a little bit.

Or if you are really a scubafanatic just service your own reg! your self. This is not as hard as it seems to be ! Really! BUT be warned you need knowdledge and exprience and the right tools and parts. The last two are easy to get (here in Holland) and knowledge you also can buy(www.airspeedpress.com and the www.scubatools.com and the MK25 maintainces manual) But then the exprience: try to find out someone in your neighbour (i guess that wont be difficult in Florida, USA !) that has the exprience with the WELL KNOWN AMERICAN ScubaPro! This really is nt that hard there i think.

Good luck and have fun, Xerxes

Does Leisure Pro sell Apeks?
Can you tell me the web site please?

"used equipment is not around this time of year"

I have to remember that one when I tell my wife why I had to buy something brand new.

Used equipement is ALWAYS around as long as you have internet access(and evidently you do). There are a dozen Poseidon brand regulators on Ebay alone to buy.

i don't fault anyone for saving money-it's the American thing to do.

Paying a couple hundred or more dollars for the exact same piece of equipment is ridiculous. I bought my basic equipment (fins, mask, snorkel, boots and gloves) from the LDS prior to my first OW class because I didn't know any better. Imagine my shock when I found all these websites (LeisurePro, DiveINN, etc.) that sold the same equipment for a lot less than what I paid. I made up my mind not to spend another cent on equipment at the LDS after that. I have kids to feed, I'm not going to pad the wallet of the LDS owner, they're not going to burn me twice. They still get 10 bucks a tank of air from me, isn't that enough?

Mel

Just to play Devil's Advocate...

Will the equipment manufacturer WARRANTY the gear sold online? Several of them have indicated that they will not.

IOW, if you have problem with your Leisure Pro purchases, to whom do you turn?

Just wondering... :grip:

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom