Sorry...this is non-dive related...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of losing a toenail due to injury...it is the big toenail on my right foot. Anyway, it is still quasi-attached on one side, but I can lift it up and feel around under there (as well as look). I can see/feel that another nail is already starting to grow in the nailbed...

What do I do??? Do I pull off the top nail (including the attached part (about 4-5% of the total nail) or leave it alone?

I can post a picture if necessary...

...I feel your pain - growing up on a farm means lots of dropped fenceposts, firewood, rocks, machinery, etc on toes over the years. I've always waited until it's mostly seperated from the toe, then "ripped it a new one". Toenail that is. Might bleed, but just disinfect it afterwards.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
...I feel your pain - growing up on a farm means lots of dropped fenceposts, firewood, rocks, machinery, etc on toes over the years. I've always waited until it's mostly seperated from the toe, then "ripped it a new one". Toenail that is. Might bleed, but just disinfect it afterwards.

:wink:

So all of us can see your about to fall, big toe nail.

But seriously, when I had a similar problem and I clipped the loose part off. The rest will come off with time.

Ari :)

Ari once bubbled...
So all of us can see your about to fall, big toe nail.

But seriously, when I had a similar problem and I clipped the loose part off. The rest will come off with time.

Ari :)
Nah, that would definitely get moderated...dang things look gross!

I tend to clip off the parts that aren't attached anymore, so it doesn't snag on anything... But I don't rip it from the skin anywhere....

The skin under the old nail will be really tender. I have had this happen on toes and on one of my index fingers when I broke the bone at the tip. The fingernail was nasty looking, and I was worried about snagging it, so I just covered it with a band-aid and waited. Have you tried soaking the foot? Nails are a lot softer when wet.

Do not post pix, please!:wacko:

scuberd once bubbled...
if you take a pic, I'll look at it. It will take a lot to gross me out...famous last words
I would have to shave my toes first...hairy toes are kinda' embarrassing...

Thanks for the advice all...I kinda tucked it back in and will let it hang around for a while. I am sure I will knock it off eventually, but I will try to let nature take its course for now.

The new nail growing in under it looks pretty cool though...I really hope I don't get an ingrown toenail when the new one comes in though..

Back
Top Bottom