South Lake Tahoe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seadeuce

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Will be in that area next week, so would appreciate any info on where to get a couple of dives in.

TIA

Seadeuce

Looks like the NorCal forum might be the best place to ask. A fair amount of hits on Tahoe in that forum. Good Luck!

I requested the thread be moved.

Here is some info. I have only dove the area a couple times myself, so I will defer to others.

Map

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to NorCal

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like tyo dive Tahoe next week, what is the water temp there this time of year ?

I would like to dive Tahoe next week, what is the water temp there this time of year ?
Cold? Maybe low 40's at the upper thermoclines? Definitely worthy of a drysuit. The air temps are cold enough that I wouldn't breathe my reg before going underwater, lest it freeze in the 25-35 degree air.

FWIW there are no dive shops in the Tahoe Basin. There are dive shops in Sacramento and Reno though.

There is probably going to be snow on the ground, but this seems to be a pretty warm storm, and it might rain a lot. It should dump a lot of water in the area though that will screw up visibility. There are probably not any dive boats going out, so shore diving is the way to get wet.

This thread has some more info.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/45114-anybody-up-lake-tahoe-dive.html

Hurricane Bay is a good spot. I am considering heading up this weekend. Here is a video of the site take about this same time last year:

[youtubehq]0pNr0rL0XrA[/youtubehq]

I really enjoy diving at Rubicon point that can be reached from shore at DL Bliss state Park (park in southern most day-use lot, down a flight of stairs to beach entry point, about a 100 yards south from there to the point). Steep drop off, fantastic topography of boulders and submerged logs. I have always spotted trout and baitfish schools on my dives there. I have a video or 2 posted on my youtube account from dives there you can check-out

Be sure to lookup info on dive flag rules and remember the elevation factor for tahoe.

have fun and be safe

Rubicon Wall is an amazing dive with house sized bolders and dramatic drop offs, but it is pretty much a boat dive without access to DL Bliss State Park. I do not think that DL Blisss State boat opens until June 15th.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom