Southwest Leaving Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn't just Cozumel. News story today is Southwest cancelled flights to a number of cities (4 locations were cited) due the inability of getting aircraft from Boeing. Now it could be they are attempting to cut back on underutilized flights.

Back in the days of Continental there was actually a shuttle flight between the airports. I took one once.
no more shuttle flights, even if there were the customs and immigration would be horrendous compared to hobby. my life just got much more complicated.

DAVE DILLEHAY

Just read this in the local news myself. This really sucks. It was so nice to have 2 bags with all the scuba gear, and Southwest seemed to be one of the few airlines left that gave half a rat's ass about providing decent customer service. I may also have to go back to the bag drag through Cancun, because United and Delta can KMA.

Just read this in the local news myself. This really sucks. It was so nice to have 2 bags with all the scuba gear, and Southwest seemed to be one of the few airlines left that gave half a rat's ass about providing decent customer service. I may also have to go back to the bag drag through Cancun, because United and Delta can KMA.
Suit yourself, but what is so different about United and Delta that would make you decide to do the bag drag from Cancun rather than flying direct into Cozumel? It would have to be a whole lot worse to get me to do it; I did the bag drag once or twice and I hated it, especially on the way home.

There appears to be a new commuter airline flying CUN to CZM for about $80.

AERUS - Tu nueva forma de viajar Sorry I don't know if the have an English website.
I posted this on the AA thread so I might as well do the same here:

It adds close to $300 pp and only works if you can line up your arrival with their departure times. Otherwise, way faster and cheaper to take the ferry. They have a flight out of CUN at noon (to early) and don't have another till 5pm (too late).

I posted this on the AA thread so I might as well do the same here:

It adds close to $300 pp and only works if you can line up your arrival with their departure times. Otherwise, way faster and cheaper to take the ferry. They have a flight out of CUN at noon (to early) and don't have another till 5pm (too late).
Cheapest I found on their site was $198.00 USD one way leaving at 5PM in October. Two more daily flights, but no earlier flights.

Reading some post from a SWA flight crew member living in Cancun, its apparently a lot to do with the SW 700 aging out of service and those plane being the raft equipped planes. They can use non-raft planes, but it takes an hour longer costing more in time and fuel to hug the coast. He said that maybe in 2025 if we are lucky, SW may start getting MAX6 plane to replace the the 700s which maybe could change things.

We were Airtran BWI to CUN for a few years and then SW when they bought them out. We can go back to the non-stop BWI to CUN, however the new and expensive puddle jumper Aerus sucks for timing. LONG waits in CUN coming or going, so I guess it will be back to my van guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom