Spare dive computer with comparable algorithm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oddly enough, I see a common trend on Scubaboard that indicates the opposite. People do criticize certain algorithms/computers for being conservative.. and make great positive noise about the more liberal ones.
Sometimes a computer just gets carried away. My buddy's computer called for a deep stop, which we did, and penalized him for not acknowledging to the computer a deep stop was necessary. A bit of overkill to me, however my bud decided to reread the manual to avoid any other tricks. When I dive with him I dive his limits.
My Oceanic does not like how I dive at times, it gives it's objection, but does not hold a grudge for small stuff. It has however done a good job of training me to ascend at 30' per min and do a safety stop, most of the time.

It's like...somehow... they believe if the computer says "you're ok", then you must be "ok"... and that your personal safety and physiological insulation from DCS changes in reflection to whatever numbers are displayed on a digital screen...
Well yeah, a computer wouldn't steer you wrong, it's electronic and new.

Bob
---------------------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

or having me blowing deco stops and locking me out for 24hours on my Mares Puck.

1002512_538267996222344_1854919664_n.jpg

Somehow I don't think that buying a new computer is going to solve the root problem here....

For the record I should warn the OP that what he is doing is unwise, even stupid, in my opinion.

R..

Somehow I don't think that buying a new computer is going to solve the root problem here....

For the record I should warn the OP that what he is doing is unwise, even stupid, in my opinion.

R..

I would not purchase a computer while seeking an algorithm that is closer to what somebody else uses for the reason that you want to dive similar profiles. If you're diving with a buddy, then you should agree up front whether or not you're going to use the more conservative of your differing computers. The other option is dive the last 10 minutes solo, which is ill advised as of late if you keep with current SB events.

You should chose the algorithm that is most appropriate for your diving style and physiology.

If you are a computer diver, and your computer says it's time to go... Then it is time to go.

Otherwise, you should dive an BT&SPG, which is guaranteed to match your buddy's dive plan no matter how aggressive he is. Just be aware that you could end up getting bent if your depth/time doesn't match up with those pesky tables you left up on the boat. Also be aware that if your BT&SPG do match up with the tables, you will again be surfacing before your buddy's Galileo.

I don't agree with the above statement that what you're doing is unwise/stupid, so much as it is uninformed. Since you're here asking questions, and I assume reading responses and opinions, I'd say you are being wise in your information gathering. What you will counter here is opinions from people of varying experience from the academic maniac with 30 dives to the crusty "read one book 30 years ago" but have 5,000 dives type dude. Nobody here is going to give you intentionally harmful advise. Take it all to heart and make an informed decision for you and your son.

I don't agree with the above statement that what you're doing is unwise/stupid, so much as it is uninformed.

Maybe I should rephrase it.

If a team of divers is diving together then that *team* works as a unit. This clearly isn't happening here, which is why I say it's a procedures problem and not an equipment problem.

Blowing deco stops is unwise, in my opinion, because even *IF* the computer is calculating very conservatively then it isn't making those calculations for no good reason. Ignoring that and surfacing "early" because either

• the rest of the team doesn't have the patience to wait for you to do your stops
or

• because you basing your stops -- as I believe the case is here -- based on what *another* diver's computer says.

Is at best unwise and at worst stupid, in my opinion. When gearbow is back on here complaining about an "undeserved" hit, what will we tell him then? I think it's best to push his nose on the facts now, before it's too late, because getting bent can do bad things to your body. Permanent things. That are bad. I'm not trying to be mean to him. I'm trying to help him understand something he seems to be missing.

.... they say a picture is worth 1000 words. Here's the picture this made me think of:

double-facepalm.jpg

I don't agree with the above statement that what you're doing is unwise/stupid, so much as it is uninformed.

Let's not dance around the bushes.... basic rules for computer use are contained on the Open Water course, Advanced Open Water course and other specialty. They are also clearly stated in the relevant computer user manuals.

Those rules include;

1. Dive to the most conservative computer within a buddy pair/team.
2. Do not go into decompression unless properly trained and equipped for decompression diving.

Some have said it was stupid to enter/omit deco. You say it's uninformed.

I say.. it's stupid to be uninformed.

Is at best unwise and at worst stupid, in my opinion. When gearbow is back on here complaining about an "undeserved" hit, what will we tell him then? I think it's best to push his nose on the facts now, before it's too late, because getting bent can do bad things to your body. Permanent things. That are bad. I'm not trying to be mean to him. I'm trying to help him understand something he seems to be missing.

My turn to rephrase! I agree with your post completely, both of them.

Some have said it was stupid to enter/omit deco. You say it's uninformed.

What I'm saying is the decision to buy a new computer for the purpose of profile matching is uninformed. Blowing deco stops because someone else's computer says it's ok, is surely stupid.

If a team of divers is diving together then that *team* works as a unit. This clearly isn't happening here, which is why I say it's a procedures problem and not an equipment problem.
I think the OP is trying to not hamper his son who
He is a dive guide and uses the Galileo Sol.
As a new diver I can understand this intention, I use larger tanks for the same reason :)

Back
Top Bottom