Spare dive computer with comparable algorithm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the OP is trying to not hamper his son who

As a new diver I can understand this intention, I use larger tanks for the same reason :)

I can understand the intention as well. I don't have any issue at all with the intention.

Also, as far as I know, the Mares Puck is that horrible computer that uses a nearly pure Wienke RGBM implementation, which makes it horribly conservative as compared to other computers, so I also understand the problem he's having.

His solution, however, leaves a lot to be desired.

If nothing else I hope his son, as a dive guide, reads the feedback on this thread because as a dive guide you'll often be leading a group of divers with a mixed bag of computers and if you're blindly riding your own computer and putting people who are using more conservative computers into a "situation" then you're doing something very, very wrong.

I'm still not clear if this is exactly how it's happening but I do have a strong sense that they're having procedure issues and you can't solve procedure issues with gear.

R..

What is the difference between buying a new computer for a different algorithm and switching to the less conservative algorithm on an Atom 3.1? For new divers the algorithm used is pretty much luck of the draw since it's barely mentioned during the sale and wouldn't be really understood if it was.

I was fortunate enough (I think) to be sold an Atom 3.1. I like that it has two algorithms for me to choose from. I dive both depending on the dive and conditions. My less conservative setting on air matches almost perfectly to my buddy's more conservative computer on Nitrox. Didn't plan that, but it's a happy coincidence.

Other than it being a really good idea to know the tables for safety and back-up, why is it unwise to shop an algorithm?

why is it unwise to shop an algorithm?

It's not at all unwise to shop for a specific algorithm, provided you're making the decision based on your dive style and physiology, and that is the research that really needs to be done. I'd say that if a diver was just looking for a computer without taking into account his own style and body, the only safe course of action would be to purchase the most conservative computer on the market. Which, since this specific diver is looking to find a computer with a more aggressive algorithm, he should then consider those factors more so. Perhaps he has completed said research and feels comfortable with the algorithms he is shopping for, but that hasn't been stated to this point. At this point, it still seems like he just wants to jump to something more aggressive for the purpose of prolonging bottom time in order to benefit somebody else, which to me, is unwise.

If your computer is the more conservative one then the obvious solution would be for both you and your buddy to leave the bottom when *your* computer says it's time. This is the normal procedure when divers have different computers... always follow the most conservative one.

That!

Despite the fact that it is questionable to buy a new computer instead of diving the most conservative plan in the team ...

... the Uwatec Aladin 2G could satify your requirements.

Both are Uwatec and use the same ZH l8-ADT algorithm (Galileo firmware without trimix update) but the Aladin costs lot less than Galileo.
As long you have the same settings as your buddy and the Galileo user does not get penalitzed for heartbeat or high gas consumption (or has disabled that functions) you should get quite similar results.
In our diving community we have Galileo and Aladin user and in practice they really fit well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom