Spear gun and pole spear as a self defense weapon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple that Sandra and I ride bikes with alot, and are very good friends with, now living in Atlanta, had an actual home invasion burglary a month ago.....
So the wife goes out earlier than Carlos on her bike, before it is light out....Carlos is screwing around up on the 3rd floor, and sees someone messing with the front door...and looking like he was trying to get through the lockled door...big guy around 210 or so....Carlos gets his 357 magnum revolver, and cell phone and calls 911, asks for police immediately...says he does not want to shoot this guy, but if he gets in, he is going to shoot...2 minutes later the downstairs door bursts open, the whole door frame gives way, and the guy charges up the stairs.....Carlos is at the top of the stairs, and has the gun aimed down right at where he imagines the guy would end up if the door breaks....as the guy bursts in, Carlos already has the gun aimed , and pulls off one shot, aiming for center mass....the bullet hits the guy right in the top of the head, going through the head....a perfect kill shot !
The guy falls where he stood.
Police show up a few minutes later, and can instantly see it was a home invasion/burglary, and are very good with Carlos.

I tell him he did exactly the best thing, and should sleep like a baby after this.
While he feels this to be true also, their house has lost it's appeal for them to live in now...and they do not want to stay in Atlanta....

Moral is, a gun or speargun by the bed is a good idea.....an even better idea is that in addition, you really burglar proof all doors and windows. Make it nearly impossible for someone to break in, making it very time consuming and loud. They say the police are 5 minutes away, when you need them in 30 seconds....That's why you have the gun, AND the near burglar proof home.

Thanks for sharing. I feel safer for my family having this and I do not own a gun so I think its a good alternative. Perhaps there some who have never thought of using this as a means of protection, but the reality is that their are lot of bad people out there wanting to harm and invade our homes. Its wiser to take steps to insure your family and home are safe from these guys.

I keep a 357 Mag. loaded in my room. I carry a 45 ACP on my person everywhere I go, and various other firearms are close at hand at all times. So......yeah....I believe in the 2nd Amendment. Spear gun.....not to much, I don't want to wound anybody, just kill them quickly, and get the crap out of my house.

A spear gun or pole spear is a really poor choice for home defense. The goal is to stop the threat as quickly as possible and a spear isn't likely to do that. I've spent 30+ years in the ER, and seen way way way too many combative people with stab wounds to believe otherwise. I've also spent 40+ years in the martial arts (which are about a lot more than just self defense) and one of the things students hear regularly is that the most effective system of self defense isn't taekwondo. It isn't kung fu. It isn't jujutsu.
It's Chic Chic Bang.

I carry routinely. Putting on a gun when I get dressed is as automatic as putting my wallet in my pocket.
The bedside gun is a suppressed Glock 41 loaded with Hornady Critical Defense rounds. The carry gun varies from small (Bersa Thunder380, Glock 42, Ruger LCR) to medium (Glock 26, 27, Taurus PT111 G2) to large (Ruger P95, Glock 19) to Oh **** (Glock 41 (gotta remove the suppressor to conceal it...), Para Ordnance P14-45). The other guns aren't ever carried, other than to the range.

Guns are not an option for everybody, or in every place, but if you have the legal right and the training, they're absolutely the best option for active self defense (as opposed to passive measures such as avoiding the situation when possible).

Pole Spear or Spear Gun for home protection? Really? Your not kidding?

There is a reason they make handguns. Long Guns, spear guns, pole spears are of limited value in the clutter and confines of a home. You need to be able to shift quickly and decisively your position and point of aim as the situation dictates. IF you thrust with the pole spear, the assailant may be able to deflect it and then where are you? Your now holding one end of a 5 foot pole and the bad guy is holding the other. Shoot your spear gun and if you fail to put the assailant down, or just miss, your done. It is a one shot and done weapon. A gun on the other hand has at least 5 shots, and many have more (up to 16). If you need a weapon, you are in a life threating situation so whey not go with something more maneuverable, more shots in case you miss and wiith better stopping power and penetration.

Well,
I have multiple real guns, so the likelihood of my ever choosing to actually pull off a shot with a speargun, would be low. The OP did say they did NOT have a gun....that the speargun or pole spear was their only play....there are some women I have met that refuse to have a gun in their home. Pretty dysfunctional in this day and age, but if that is the situation the OP is in, he has made his bed, and now he has to sleep in it :)
If not, I agree he should get a handgun or perhaps even an urban assault style shotgun.

Next time I have extra money I don't know what to do with, I'd love to get something like this :
1280px-Ithaca_37.jpg
Ithaca Model 37 Parkerized pistol gripped Riot Shotgun

Using a speargun is pretty funny to think about and make light of.
However, all kidding and humor aside, an 18.5" barrel pump shot gun has been rumored to be the best all around home defense weapon to date. It's versitile in the type of round used. 00 buck is the most popular load for home defense. It's like 15 pellets of .38 caliber with a good amount of stopping power, aim doesn't have to necessarily be spot on, and the pellets lose velocity quite quickly so damage to other houses and possible injury or death of surrounding inhabitants from rounds going through walls is minimized.
The only drawback is is they are more cumbersome than a handgun, however like Dan showed us there are pistol grips available to make them handier for close quarters combat.
A .357 or .44 mag sound cool but in reality are not that good for home defense. You have to think that in the event of a home invasion adrenaline is pumping, there might be several (single) rounds that don't hit your target (at first) and sheet rock, insulation, and 3/8" plywood siding means nothing to a bullet travelling 1800' a second (or more). A bullet could go through 4 houses before it comes to a stop.

Well,
I have multiple real guns, so the likelihood of my ever choosing to actually pull off a shot with a speargun, would be low. The OP did say they did NOT have a gun....that the speargun or pole spear was their only play....there are some women I have met that refuse to have a gun in their home. Pretty dysfunctional in this day and age, but if that is the situation the OP is in, he has made his bed, and now he has to sleep in it :)
If not, I agree he should get a handgun or perhaps even an urban assault style shotgun.

Next time I have extra money I don't know what to do with, I'd love to get something like this :
View attachment 200458
Ithaca Model 37 Parkerized pistol gripped Riot Shotgun

OK I realize that there many that have no problem having a gun, shot gun, AR 15,AK 47 etc ... But my situation is different. I have a wife who does not like guns in the home and I have thought about it and she may be right. I have thought of having a weapon like the one above ( pretty nice by the way) perhaps after all my kids are grown up and have moved out, I will do that. For now my only option is use a bat,knife or bare hands. I thought the spear gun, and pole spear are still a weapon,and since I am familiar using them it would be quite effective. Those who have guns for self defense great ! You probably don't have kids running around the house or have their guns locked away in a safe, I hope. I was talking about those who don't have guns and would like to use what they do have, spear gun/pole spear to think about having those things near them, it could help protect their home from intruders.

Last edited:
If you can't have a gun then use a can of spray glue in the eyes or pepper spray and a baseball bat to finish them off. You want the element of surprise and to neutralize the threat as soon as possible.

....Or a spear gun. What the hell, we can always use the practice, right?

While I prefer the personal touch a knife gives, my black powder 44 will also set em on fire at close range.

Living in NJ my options are limited. I keep an old .38 revolver loaded with birdshot 'snake rounds' under my nightstand. If it's confiscated I really will not miss it.

The State of NJ takes out ads in the newspapers reminding us that if we are caught carrying a pistol it's an automatic 5 year sentence. Carry permits are given out about as often as Governor Fatso tells the truth, so when hiking I carry a light golf club. Wickedly effective. I had to use it once on a vicious dog. Instant lights out.

The golf club is also useful for turning over logs and debris to see if there are any salamanders, lizards, deer mice, or colorful snakes underneath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom