Spear gun and pole spear as a self defense weapon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Living in NJ my options are limited. I keep an old .38 revolver loaded with birdshot 'snake rounds' under my nightstand. If it's confiscated I really will not miss it.

The State of NJ takes out ads in the newspapers reminding us that if we are caught carrying a pistol it's an automatic 5 year sentence. Carry permits are given out about as often as Governor Fatso tells the truth, so when hiking I carry a light golf club. Wickedly effective. I had to use it once on a vicious dog. Instant lights out.

The golf club is also useful for turning over logs and debris to see if there are any salamanders, lizards, deer mice, or colorful snakes underneath.

No way you would catch me living in the commie north!! I carry everywhere I go and will always do so, regardless of the commies in government. Better off dead than red.

Add a red laser pointer to the spear gun. Might give them enough pause to let you load. :D

Its got to be a tough decision, home protection with children involved. Fortunately not a problem in my home so a Mossberg 12 gauge under the bed with a S&W .357 in the nightstand and Baby Glock 26 concealed carry.

My dilemma is where is the best place to conceal a weapon downstairs.

But our best home defense is probably the police car parked in the neighbor's driveway.

Last edited:
1. You live in California so I am not surprised you don't have a gun.
2. Life has taught me the that the guy who brings a gun to any kind of fight usually wins. I prefer to win.

...... But my situation is different. I have a wife who does not like guns in the home ........ Those who have guns for self defense great ! You probably don't have kids running around the house or have their guns locked away in a safe, I hope. I was talking about those who don't have guns and would like to use what they do have, spear gun/pole spear to think about having those things near them, it could help protect their home from intruders.

Had kids and now grandkids, They, as did I, grew up in a home where we had weapons which were kept ready for home defense (aka loaded). When you have a weapon in the home you have a responsibility to do the following:
1. Ask the question. Am I willing to kill someone to protect my life and that of others and/or my property (if your state allows this)? IF the answer is not an instant YES without any hesitation, or uncertainty, don't get a gun. You will hesitate asking the question at the time of crisis and get it taken away by the bad guy.
2. Know how to use it.
3. Practice with it several times a year and clean it carefully after.
4. Ensure all in the house over the age of say 4 know you have real weapons in the house.
5. Know that children in your home (yours and your guest kids) will go through your things. They will find the gun. If they are not taught that you have them, and that they are real, and that they are loaded,they will think they are a toy and tragedy may result.
6. Don't give your children toy weapons. This sends a confusing message and increases the risk that a real gun will be mistaken for a toy weapon.
7. Teach all in the house of sufficient maturity how to safely use the weapon.
8. Take all others in the house to the range and demonstrate the power of the weapon.
9. Teach everyone that EVERY gun you ever see is ALWAYS LOADED and should always be treated as such.
10. Teach everyone in the house to never point a gun at anything you do not mean to kill.
11. Safely store the weapons ready for use (loaded) where they are readily accessible to authorized individuals in the dark of night. IE.. a safe with a combo you can work in the dark or fingerprint scanner safe.
12. Don't shoot unless you can see the target. Positively identify the target as intruder and intent on causing you harm. Use the appropriate weapon. Pistols are easy to maneuver in a house and store. They will penetrate walls. Hollow nose rounds with light powder charges are better than high powder charge hot loads. Shotguns are better as others have discussed.
13. Be aware that the rounds will go through the target and may penetrate walls. Right size the weapon and the load (ammunition). You want a round that will stop the target immediately but not travel through the house and the next 3e on the block.

OK I realize that there many that have no problem having a gun, shot gun, AR 15,AK 47 etc ... But my situation is different. I have a wife who does not like guns in the home and I have thought about it and she may be right. I have thought of having a weapon like the one above ( pretty nice by the way) perhaps after all my kids are grown up and have moved out, I will do that.

Why? Do you think they're less likely to injure themselves on a sharp pointy object? Do you think they're incapable of learning gun safety? What are you doing to prevent them from ever getting their hands on your spear gun or pole spear?

For now my only option is use a bat,knife or bare hands. I thought the spear gun, and pole spear are still a weapon,and since I am familiar using them it would be quite effective.

Well, no, they're not your only options. They are options, but not your only ones. And they're not going to be "quite effective". Don't fool yourself. And it's possible you may have heard the expression "never take a knife to a gun fight".

Those who have guns for self defense great ! You probably don't have kids running around the house or have their guns locked away in a safe, I hope.

I have kids. And grandkids. They all know about gun safety. Some of them go to the range with me. None of them are going to shoot themselves. Or anybody else, unless that person actually needs shooting.
Guns that aren't being carried are in a safe, but that's so they aren't as easy to steal. And there's a FAS1-SBD next to the bed to control access to the suppressed G41.
I also have a fair number of rather large, sharp objects. I'm not worried that they'll chop each other up, either.

I was talking about those who don't have guns and would like to use what they do have, spear gun/pole spear to think about having those things near them, it could help protect their home from intruders.

Or, they could think about something that's more likely to actually help them.

In your case, your best bet would be a safe room. Or an emergency exit. Or both.

Add a red laser pointer to the spear gun. Might give them enough pause to let you load.

Its got to be a tough decision, home protection with children involved. Fortunately not a problem in my home so a Mossberg 12 gauge under the bed with a S&W .357 in the nightstand and Baby Gloch 26 concealed carry.

But our best home defense is probably the police car parked in the neighbor's driveway.

Biometric safe would be a good option for you downstairs. It can only be opened by the person(s) who's finger prints it is coded to. Just stick your hand in the scanner and it opens only takes a second or less. They are fairly cheap now.

Had kids and now grandkids, They, as did I, grew up in a home where we had weapons which were kept ready for home defense (aka loaded). When you have a weapon in the home you have a responsibility to do the following:
1. Ask the question. Am I willing to kill someone to protect my life and that of others and/or my property (if your state allows this)? IF the answer is not an instant YES without any hesitation, or uncertainty, don't get a gun. You will hesitate asking the question at the time of crisis and get it taken away by the bad guy.
2. Know how to use it.
3. Practice with it several times a year and clean it carefully after.
4. Ensure all in the house over the age of say 4 know you have real weapons in the house.
5. Know that children in your home (yours and your guest kids) will go through your things. They will find the gun. If they are not taught that you have them, and that they are real, and that they are loaded,they will think they are a toy and tragedy may result.
6. Don't give your children toy weapons. This sends a confusing message and increases the risk that a real gun will be mistaken for a toy weapon.
7. Teach all in the house of sufficient maturity how to safely use the weapon.
8. Take all others in the house to the range and demonstrate the power of the weapon.
9. Teach everyone that EVERY gun you ever see is ALWAYS LOADED and should always be treated as such.
10. Teach everyone in the house to never point a gun at anything you do not mean to kill.
11. Safely store the weapons ready for use (loaded) where they are readily accessible to authorized individuals in the dark of night. IE.. a safe with a combo you can work in the dark or fingerprint scanner safe.
12. Don't shoot unless you can see the target. Positively identify the target as intruder and intent on causing you harm. Use the appropriate weapon. Pistols are easy to maneuver in a house and store. They will penetrate walls. Hollow nose rounds with light powder charges are better than high powder charge hot loads. Shotguns are better as others have discussed.
13. Be aware that the rounds will go through the target and may penetrate walls. Right size the weapon and the load (ammunition). You want a round that will stop the target immediately but not travel through the house and the next 3e on the block.

Have nothing against guns my self and I am Air Force Vet. I have used the 45 and m 16 riffle while serving. I wish to say that although the weapon of choice is a type of gun especially a shot gun ( if I was to pick a weapon). The list of responsibilities when having it in a home, with children is a little overwhelming and to risky, if it is not kept in a lock safe. I rather have peace of mind especially since we have lots of kids who come to visit our kids. Our house is like the hang out house for my kids friends. It great because I can always keep a close eye on them and know who my kids friends are, its important for me. Perhaps your situation is different, I can respect that, as well as your long military service.

Living in NJ my options are limited. I keep an old .38 revolver loaded with birdshot 'snake rounds' under my nightstand. If it's confiscated I really will not miss it.

If you shoot someone with that, it's going to piss them off, but not much more. A bad guy in your home is dangerous enough as it is, I don't think pissing them off more is a good idea...
Maybe get some actual defensive ammo? I'm partial to the Hornady Critical Defense load, but there are plenty of other good choices.

Add a red laser pointer to the spear gun. Might give them enough pause to let you load.

Its got to be a tough decision, home protection with children involved. Fortunately not a problem in my home so a Mossberg 12 gauge under the bed with a S&W .357 in the nightstand and Baby Gloch 26 concealed carry.

I find right behind my right hip to be the best place...
If not there, then consider one of any number of quick-opening wall safes. This is one option...

1. You live in California so I am not surprised you don't have a gun.

A common misconception. It's relatively easy to own a gun in The Peoples Republic of California. It's not easy to get a carry permit, but the gun is easy. Probably the biggest Glock dealer in the US is there.

2. Life has taught me the that the guy who brings a gun to any kind of fight usually wins. I prefer to win.

I bet your family prefers it that way, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom