Spear gun and pole spear as a self defense weapon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My belief is that fish that I have shot, were much harder to get a kill shot with, than an intruder would be....
My speargun shoots a big ass spear, and it would instantly "pin" an intruder to the wall. Even if they did not die right that instant, they would be easy to finish off with your baseball bat after than ( continuing the story line of not being able to have a real gun in your house).

I thought you were supposed to fire a warning shot before actually shooting the burglar. Sounds like a good way to end up in jail. You be surprised how many people get in trouble for defending themselves. Gotta love today's America .

What happens when you miss?
So what happens when you miss with the gun? Sure, if there is time you try again. As I recall, even trained police officers statistically have only a 30 to 40 percent chance of hitting their live target when shooting under stress.

Wonder what that statistic is for the average gun owner.
(excluding shot gun owners)

Last edited:
What happens when you miss?
Again, this is all hypothetical, for a guy that does not own a real handgun ( and can't), but that does have a speargun, and is a good shot with it....
So to answer your question, if this spearo somehow misses this shot from 6 feet away, that he could not possibly miss, then his baseball bat is next to him, and/or his nunchucks.....and he should be good at mixed martial arts if he has no gun...so really, there is no problem :)

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2015 at 03:54 PM ----------

I thought you were supposed to fire a warning shot before actually shooting the burglar. Sounds like a good way to end up in jail. You be surprised how many people get in trouble for defending themselves. Gotta love today's America .
Only a fool would fire a warning shot to an intruder in their house. This is one of those categorical imperatives, far beyond any law of the land.

The Twelve Gauge I use would stop them in their tracks. I think a spear gun or a spear would be a libility if the suspect was to recover and some how sues the home owner. I have heard it happen. A legal defense is easier with only one side of the story, a cop friend of mine told me that.

12 gauge powerheads ! :)

Even better
20150102_165956.jpg
This is a 444 Marlin Powerhead, made by Pat Frain of Ultimate Dive Products... You instantly slide this disposable powerhead over the tip of your spear...
Pat used to say it would turn a 25 foot Great White Shark into a charred smoking remnant of what it once was....I'm thinking it would handle the intruder quite well :)

Here in Florida we have stand your ground and the castle doctrine. If you are put in fear of your life you can use deadly force. If an intruder enters you home you can kill them....period. Happens almost every day here, no charges filed.

I once brought an arbalette 2 bandgun into an ad agency in Lauderdale....to be used as a prop for an ad we were working on....one of the dopey account execs...very yuppie, totally clueless, cocked it and fired it at the wall in his office....drywall...it went through the wall into the next room...He was lucky he was a partner in the firm ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom