Spear gun and pole spear as a self defense weapon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why? Do you think they're less likely to injure themselves on a sharp pointy object? Do you think they're incapable of learning gun safety? What are you doing to prevent them from ever getting their hands on your spear gun or pole spear?

Well, no, they're not your only options. They are options, but not your only ones. And they're not going to be "quite effective". Don't fool yourself. And it's possible you may have heard the expression "never take a knife to a gun fight".

I have kids. And grandkids. They all know about gun safety. Some of them go to the range with me. None of them are going to shoot themselves. Or anybody else, unless that person actually needs shooting.
Guns that aren't being carried are in a safe, but that's so they aren't as easy to steal. And there's a FAS1-SBD next to the bed to control access to the suppressed G41.
I also have a fair number of rather large, sharp objects. I'm not worried that they'll chop each other up, either.

Or, they could think about something that's more likely to actually help them.

In your case, your best bet would be a safe room. Or an emergency exit. Or both.

As far as injuring them selves with the pole spear or spear gun. I guess anything is possible but the chances of a deadly injury compared to a loaded gun, they are very different. Remember that the spear gun is not loaded.

Gun safety can be taught and learned but the risks involved are always present especially when you have new kids coming to visit your home. Its a bit concerning and it would be much easier and less of a worrisome once my kids and have grown.

There are also others on this forum who can not have guns whether it is something similar to my situation or because of laws prohibiting ownership of guns in many countries.

As a the them injuring them selves with the pole spear or spear gun. I guess anything is possible but the chances of deadly injury compared to a loaded gun, they are very different.

I agree completely that the chances of a deadly injury are lower. Much much lower. That's one reason why it's a rotten choice for defending yourself.

Remember that the spear gun is not loaded.

And there's another reason.

[video=youtube;8pU2IOTEZlU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pU2IOTEZlU[/video]

I love how the Yankee Marshall puts thing into perspective. With that being said, if your home protection plan is to use medieval weapons against a determined intruder, then you are not serious about your personal protection plan.

I love how the Yankee Marshall puts thing into perspective. With that being said, if your home protection plan is to use medieval weapons against a determined intruder, then you are not serious about your personal protection plan.

A gun is no doubt the most effective, can easily take down an intruder.But I wish to remind you , that there are some who for other reasons can not use a gun because of their own country laws, there are other ways people can protect against these intruders in other parts of the world.If they are divers they may already have these items and have experience in using these items.This is not guns against no guns. Its more like, as divers since some of us have these items and have practice using them, they can actually be used as an actual weapon to defend and protect your home, it just sounds odd to people whom have guns to even consider using something else.

Don't be fooled these items can be very lethal, especially in the right hands.

I'm sure a battleaxe is very lethal in the right hands, so those of you in countries that doesn't allow firearms, you should feel well protected when ninjas or barbarian hordes lay siege on your home. Those of us in 'Merica, even those in the People's Republic of California, have the right to firearms.

Would you do a 200ft dive with a Scott SCBA? I would hope that if you are serious you would get the required training and tools to keep your family and yourself safe; unless you feel Aquaman is the biggest threat in your neighborhood.

I find a double barrel side-by-side 16 guage loaded with #1 buck gives me much more confidence than a spear would. Never bring a knife to a gunfight. I also want to drop the guy clean and final - don't want to spend money being sued by a skumbag. Nor do I want them crawling outside to die. Like my grandpa said "leave no cripples".

If due to country laws I could not have a gun I would opt for a compound bow with broadheads. Very lethal and allows quick, repeat shots.

Crossbow works as well. Even those little crossbow pistols with a hollow shaft will create a tube that blood just flows out of if you put some holes in the shaft to allow that once it penetrates.

I don't like 00 buck for home defense, goes through walls too easy. #7 low brass bird shot out of a 12 guage at less than ten feet is like getting hit with a slug 2 inches in diameter depending on the choke. Hell may even find the wad in em. But past that it's less likely to injure some innocent in the next room.

Crossbow works as well. Even those little crossbow pistols with a hollow shaft will create a tube that blood just flows out of if you put some holes in the shaft to allow that once it penetrates.

I don't like 00 buck for home defense, goes through walls too easy. #7 low brass bird shot out of a 12 guage at less than ten feet is like getting hit with a slug 2 inches in diameter depending on the choke. Hell may even find the wad in em. But past that it's less likely to injure some innocent in the next room.

If you think about refering to cross bow a spear gun is on the same lines as this type of weapon. It is also something that I ORIGINALLY had asked to consider because it was already an item that some divers already haqve and are comfortable and experienced in using. It is more practical because I have never even used a CROSS BOW, I doubt many other divers have one in their home either.

The purpose of the post was not to find other means of protection but to look at what you have since you are diver/ free diver and use that resource to help in another area. In this case your experience with a weapon like the spear gun does play into account as being lethal.

Can you guys see this as an important factor or do you really think an intruder could not be put down with a spear gun?

Know I am the one that's laughing.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2015 at 09:43 AM ----------

I agree completely that the chances of a deadly injury are lower. Much much lower. That's one reason why it's a rotten choice for defending yourself.

And there's another reason.

[video=youtube;8pU2IOTEZlU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pU2IOTEZlU[/video]

Operation BUTTERSCOTCH has to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen, I can't believe some one would actually do this! This must be some type of joke right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom