Spear Gun (s)--all Time Favorite!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Mares pneumatic spearguns. These are simple guns good for fishing up close and around rocks. They are quick to reload by pushing against a rock, or the palm reloader when over sand. Mine are over 15 years old. As long as the front of the gun is stored downward to keep the o-ring lubricated, I just pump them up about once a year. For halibut in open sandy areas, the gun is just under 4' long with a break-away point and about an 8-10 foot range. I mean I would only shoot something no further than about 8-10 feet from my body. The Mares gun I use the most is about 2' long with about a 6 foot range - for ling cod, Cabezon, rock fish - fish near the bottom or around the kelp. Most of my shots are less than 4 feet. I like a spinner rock point tip the best. It is easy to touch up and I have not lost any fish with it. Other than a Cabezon that swam into the rocks and jammed/lost my whole spear. I fish Mendocino, Monterey, to south of Carmel. With my favorite areas being south of Carmel - Big Sur area.

Back
Top Bottom