Spearfishing is kinda dangerous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zeN|| once bubbled...
Millions of Spare Air or similiar have been sold, lots of divers believe in using an alternate air source, lots of experienced divers use it, is that Delusional? One of the most reccomended books I own on solo diving reccomends spare air for the solo-diver is that delusional?

Yes.

That's not really true about spare air and hunting, when you hunt you are often alone, even if you have a buddy, there are more things that take your attention off your buddy, such as seeing a fish and going after it, pursuing it after your strike, and often in hunting you will push your air management to the limits because you have not taken any fish or perhaps you see some action toward the the end of your dive, also, you don't follow a rigid dive plan when you are hunting, because you are hunting and exploring, and you often don't know where it's going to take you, as in all things its a matter of choice, there aren't any cut and dry choices, even though a few are suggesting they have a cut and dried answer ZeN

"you are often alone, even if you have a buddy, there are more things that take your attention off your buddy"

In that case, you are not really buddy diving, you are two guys solo diving at the same time. Buddies coordinate their hunt (and are more effective than as two solo divers) and excercise good buddy skills.

"often in hunting you will push your air management to the limits because you have not taken any fish or perhaps you see some action toward the the end of your dive"

Sounds suicidal to me.

"you don't follow a rigid dive plan when you are hunting, because you are hunting and exploring, and you often don't know where it's going to take you"

Dive plans can be flexible with regard to location without being flexible with regard to gas management.

"as in all things its a matter of choice"

Of course it is! I totally agree! IMNSHO, you are making dangerous choices if you really dive the way you say. OTOH, it is your right to make those choices.

Don't pay any attention to me, I am "clueless to solo-diving."

Yes, you are clueless, you completely disregard redundant air supply systems for solo diving, you apparently don't know much about the real world of spearfishing, but most importantly is your know-it-all attitude with a penchant for putting people down who don't subcribe to Walters Dive Laws, if I ever see you putting down divers in your snide fashion count on me and others to discount it ~ zeN

I suggest doubles for solo, you suggest spare air for solo and I "completely disregard redundant air supply systems for solo diving"?

Perhaps you are correct, but I missed it. When was I "putting down divers"?

I guarantee Walter, you have dived solo, and I'll bet you didn't strap on doubles, you're pretty good at twisting the argument, but you did discount spare air for solo divers, so don't try to change your story now (it's too late to edit your posts!) zeN||

btw hotshot, here's your post on spare air:

" It's a great idea for helicopter pilots and bridge workers. It's inadequate and gives a false sense of security to divers." HOWIE

"I guarantee Walter, you have dived solo"

In fact, I have 399 logged solo dives, but I didn't start solo diving when I had 15 dives.

"I'll bet you didn't strap on doubles"

If you mean on all of them, you'd be correct, but I did use doubles for the majority of them.

"you did discount spare air for solo divers"

I still do. It's a great idea for helicopter pilots and bridge workers. It's inadequate and gives a false sense of security to divers. It has no place in planning solo dives. You do as you'd like, it won't bother me, in fact, I'll defend your right to make that choice.

"it's too late to edit your posts!"

Actually, as a regulator, I'm not subject to the time limit, but I've said nothing here I want to change.

You did negelect my question. I would appreciate your answer, if you don't mind.

No, I don't think I'll waste any more time on this arguement.
Flex, feel free to pm me if you ever care to discuss diving without a 'tude:) Cheers zeN||

Hey pal, people can read our posts and make up their own mind, you're not worth anymore of my time, I am suprised they let you moderate however, oh well, it's snot a perfect world Cheers to the other solo-divers (don't forget your spare air! :) ) zeN||

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom