Spearfishing on oil rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPENDERGRAST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm really just looking for some input here - I was invited to go on a spearfishing trip this weekend. This is on a private boat run by my cousin's friend. I've been spearing now for just about every other (if not every) free weekend for th past 6 months. I'm very comfortable, and have speared several respectable sized fish, and thus far have been able to handle them well.

My concern is the dangers involved in rig diving as most of the time they are in very deep water. Is there anything I should prepare myself for? I will certainly be asking questions when on the boat, but wanted to see if anyone here could offer me some pointers since this will be my first time spearing a rig.

:sharkattack:

Look up a book called "Helldiver's Rodeo". It will tell you everything you need to know. Get prepared to possibly get pulled through the rigging (I have worn a large pair of jeans and a heavy shirt over my wet suit to help protect aginst barnacles). If you get a big one that takes you on a "sleigh-ride", climb up the line and stab the bugger!

Last edited:
If you get a big one that takes you on a "sleigh-ride", climb up the line and stab the bugger!

I like your style!

Hey JP,

You'll love rig diving... lots of awesome fish everywhere!

Just saw the other thread on your getting a new gun. It would be good to get a spear or 2 with a detachable slip tip for rigs. I'd also practice on legal to medium sized AJs & cobias somewhere that has a bottom near by, especially if you haven't already been dealing with them.

Also single barbs on a spear, not a treaded head, are very good for the snappers and other fast smart fish in their size range.

The HDR book is a riot! They use a rigging set up called a riding rig, which allows you to keep your unattached gun banded on your arm, and fight the fish with a short rope attached to a stainless cable attached to the spear.

I'll have to find my riding rig pic for you, or take a new one.

Here's one I took of a buddy, Stan Smith, a Hell Diver (he was in the book too) with his riding rig Wong gun. There is a big brass clip on the end of the rope, tucked in the handle of his gun that you can't see

There's a video showing a riding rig and other set ups in this spearfishing publication I did in the Times. St. Petersburg Times Online: Ocean Hunters Click the video link under the graphic.

Chad

Attachments

• e-slip tip removal.jpg
    e-slip tip removal.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 338
  • Stan Smith and Warsaw grouper lw.JPG
    Stan Smith and Warsaw grouper lw.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
just shot mid size fish dont go for the biggest one like my dad if you want details on that pm me but iv been out three times and got some nice fish check post your bost to see thim i just put the last amberjacks i got on there

Oops, accidental post here.

Well here's a couple more rig pics.

I got in the habit of wearing a beanie, kept me from banging my head on some coral a few times, especially when freediving.

Attachments

• Gag & cobia, Chad Carney on Rig.jpg
    Gag & cobia, Chad Carney on Rig.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 282
  • Bill Freediving.jpg
    Bill Freediving.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 293
  • P1010023 sw.JPG
    P1010023 sw.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 192
  • Gary's big triggers lw.JPG
    Gary's big triggers lw.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Hey Chad, those ARE some huge triggers! I have heard they are good to eat, but never shot them because I heard they are supper hard to fillet. Is this true?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom